• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House not hooked up to city sewer, city wants us to pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cadwellm

Our house was built in 1939 in the city proper of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in the county of Eau Claire. September of 1999 we
bought the property directly from the owners and moved in.

On 11/7/01 the city water department asked to run dye through our toilets. My husband, without questioning it, consented and
the worker ran dye through the toilet.

The next day a city water vehicle was blocking our driveway when my husband was going to work. When my husband asked
them to move, so he could leave, the worker told him our house wasn't hooked up to the sewer line but was hooked up to a
pipe that ran to the river. The worker said the next-door neighbor and the business across the street had the same problem.

The worker said we must get a plumber, we could get a list from him, and it would cost us $2000+ to fix. He also said it
must be done right away.

The city sewer line, as well as the pipe going to the river, are located in an alley/street which is fully off of our property.

We've spoken with the next-door neighbors, they know nothing about it. However, the business owner told us the same city
worker that told us told him he couldn't use the washing machine in the building as that was the only thing not hooked up to
the city water line. We were never told we had to stop using anything.

None of us have received any paper notification about this, the only information we have is verbal from the same city worker.
My husband asked and the worker said the city would not be willing to put the bill on our property tax, he said we would have
to get a low interest loan. Then he said if something wasn't done soon the city would start to fine us.

We can't afford this bill or to pay off even a low interest loan. This is affecting my health (I've recently been diagnosed with a
disabling disease).

Could this be a scam? We don't know what to do. What should our next step should be? Why didn't the city hook up our
home, and the neighbor's, when they hooked up everybody else?
:(

HomeGuru

Do more investigation. Ask the Mayors office and your district Councilperson for help. Talk to the head of the City Dept. Review your sales contract documents. There should be a Seller disclosure statement. What did the Seller state for wastewater connection?
Leave no stone unturned.

C

cadwellm

Thank you for your assistance. You have given us some helpful starting points.

We just started talking to an online attorney who said something about this didn't sound right. He said we need to contact several local officials at the water company and health department and check on this story as well as the person's credentials. We should get all of this should be in writing before taking any action at all, including any further conversations with the person involved!

Thanks again. Now, at least, we know the next step to take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">