• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Laurenfoxx

Hopefully someone can help us with this problem. Almost two years ago we moved into a house with our 2 roommates. We were all going to buy the house together and we paid half of everything. The only thing we didn't pay half on was the deposit which we agree to pay on once we were added to title. We have many witnesses to this agreement, but nothing in writing. I moved from Cleveland, Ohio and they moved from San Francisco. My husband and my two kids moved into the house with them. My husband and I worked and one roomate worked. the other one was basically in and out of jobs and playing computer games at home when he wasn't. Not ot mention, he would leave food and dishes around the house all day until his wife got home. The problem was that at times , he even left raw chicken which jeopordized my families health. At one point he even woke up to ants crawling all over him an dstill didn't change. I had been complaining and said, this is the final straw. I told them either he started cleaning up or I would call the health board and sue him if something happened to one of my kids or my husband and I . Needless to say, he began to clean up sometimes, but would leave dishesd out to retaliate. We spoke up about that as well as food he had taken and failed to replace. They decided that they did not want to stay and that he really wasn't trying nor would he try to get a job, because he wanted to go home to Ohio. So they told us that they were going to sell the house and that we had less then 30 days to move or sign an agreement which said that we would take over all their payments and that we were owners on the house. They still did not add us to title. I told them I would not pay the taxes unless we were on title. In the midst of all of this I was dealing with a high-risk pregnancy at 7 months. We couldn't move my son out of his school or with me being pregnant at 7 months. We signed the agreement under diress. If we didn't sign it we would have been on the streets. Anyway, they left with us paying everything on the house. Almost a year later we were supposed to be added to title and we wuold refinance afterthat. They sent us a letter stating that if we didn't buy the house by MAy 1st for 143K, they would charge us more for the house. Basically they were trying to blackmail us, knowing full well we could not get refinanced until we were on the title and for six months. What leagal ground do we have? We would never have moved in with them if we knew this was going ot happen. We have paid over $8,000 in money they were supposed to pay had they been here. Also, we are not renters, but they are talking to us like we are. They haven't paid any taxes or claimed it on their taxes. They don't even live in the state. What can we do? Please help!!!!!:confused:

If we take them to court, can we win? ( We have witnesses and verbal tapes of the orginal agreement).

Where can I find similar cases and California Law codes?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Laurenfoxx said:
Hopefully someone can help us with this problem. Almost two years ago we moved into a house with our 2 roommates. We were all going to buy the house together and we paid half of everything. The only thing we didn't pay half on was the deposit which we agree to pay on once we were added to title. We have many witnesses to this agreement, but nothing in writing. I moved from Cleveland, Ohio and they moved from San Francisco. My husband and my two kids moved into the house with them. My husband and I worked and one roomate worked. the other one was basically in and out of jobs and playing computer games at home when he wasn't. Not ot mention, he would leave food and dishes around the house all day until his wife got home. The problem was that at times , he even left raw chicken which jeopordized my families health. At one point he even woke up to ants crawling all over him an dstill didn't change. I had been complaining and said, this is the final straw. I told them either he started cleaning up or I would call the health board and sue him if something happened to one of my kids or my husband and I . Needless to say, he began to clean up sometimes, but would leave dishesd out to retaliate. We spoke up about that as well as food he had taken and failed to replace. They decided that they did not want to stay and that he really wasn't trying nor would he try to get a job, because he wanted to go home to Ohio. So they told us that they were going to sell the house and that we had less then 30 days to move or sign an agreement which said that we would take over all their payments and that we were owners on the house. They still did not add us to title. I told them I would not pay the taxes unless we were on title. In the midst of all of this I was dealing with a high-risk pregnancy at 7 months. We couldn't move my son out of his school or with me being pregnant at 7 months. We signed the agreement under diress. If we didn't sign it we would have been on the streets. Anyway, they left with us paying everything on the house. Almost a year later we were supposed to be added to title and we wuold refinance afterthat. They sent us a letter stating that if we didn't buy the house by MAy 1st for 143K, they would charge us more for the house. Basically they were trying to blackmail us, knowing full well we could not get refinanced until we were on the title and for six months. What leagal ground do we have? We would never have moved in with them if we knew this was going ot happen. We have paid over $8,000 in money they were supposed to pay had they been here. Also, we are not renters, but they are talking to us like we are. They haven't paid any taxes or claimed it on their taxes. They don't even live in the state. What can we do? Please help!!!!!:confused:
**A: a good portion of your post is not relevant to the issue at hand. Please state your main question in one sentence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">