• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

House protected when not divorced?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glo615

What is the name of your state? New Jersey.

My mom is "not" divorced from my dad, but has been separated for 50 years from him (he's been living in California for 35 years of this separation). My dad is now in the hospital and may be put into a nursing home as well as surgeries, test, etc. She is worried about her house.

My mom had my dad sign a document using a lawyer in 1970 which states as follows (I've left their names off for privacy)

The out side of the document says on the top of page,
Deed
John Doe and Jane Doe, husband and wife
To
Jane Doe

This first page starts out..."This Indenture" . One portion of this document says "This deed is made to fully relinquish and release to the said Jane Doe any right of curtesy which John Doe (my dad) may have in the premises herein described pursuant to N.J.S.A. 37:2-18.1" .

She alluded one dollar was exchanged with this document....My mom is very concerned about her house. Is her house protected? Any info you can share would be great.

Thank you.
Anthony

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">