• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Housing Association: Interest charges etc.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

healeydave

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi,
I am a UK resident with an investment property in Florida that I use for short term rental.

I recently had a letter from a Law Firm asking for 5 years of backdated HOA fee's along with late fee's and interest charges.
They were threatening to put a lien on the property etc.
This was the first request we have received for HOA fee's for the property!

I spoke to friends of ours who have a property in the same development and they said they get a voucher book sent to their UK address every year with quarterly bills for the HOA fee's. I have never received this or any documentation from the HOA at all, so as you can imagine it came as quite a shock to us.
When asked why we never had anything from the HOA, the lawyer said that they are not obligated to send this information out and that its our responsibility to ensure fee's are paid on time. This I find rather strange because in my opinion even if not a legal requirement, it would be a common courtesy to expect an invoice if only to know who, when & where to pay!

Given a time-line to respond in the first contact letter from the lawyer, I did dispute the bill on the basis that I wanted breakdown of the fee's, especially the interest charges that seem extortionate!
Also, the fact that if we hadn't received any communication from the HOA, I disputed that it was not fair to have interest charges levied on me when the HOA had not notified me of such charge would be imposed (due to no contact) and hence they had not given me an opportunity to pay in a timely fashion to avoid said charges.

This has fallen on deaf ears and they just keep simply insisting that full payment of all fee's are necessary and they want them immediately.

Rightly or wrongly, I took the pro-active approach of sending the backdated HOA's fee's which was a crippling $8,400 directly to the HOA asking them to write off the other charges because I didn't think they were fair given the HOA had never previously given me an invoice or a chance to pay and avoid said charges.

I have still not had any form of communication from the HOA, just another demand from the Lawyer acknowledging the check for HOA fee's and demanding the rest of the interest and other fee's. If the HOA refuses to communicate with me (unlike other home owners) I am concerned that I will still have no invoices for payment from the HOA for future fee's.

So that's the background, I guess my main questions are:

Do I have no option but to pay these interest fee's?
Do I have no case that I should at least expect some form of communication and bills from the HOA prior to any additional fee's being levied?
Is it really my responsibility to ensure these fee's are paid despite previously not knowing when they are due, how much I should be paying and where I should be sending payment?

FlyingRon

Sorry, it's not extortion. They very much can lien your property immediately. It is not the HOA's job to bill you or otherwise remind you to make payment (though typically they will do as a courtesy). You owe the missing fees. If the HOA documents say they can charge interest or other late fees, yes you owe that. No they don't have to warn you they're levying the fees.

healeydave

Thanks for the replies.

We have never had any correspondence from the HOA at all, so hence my concern.

We don't have HOA's in the UK, so without any introduction, bill or letter advising of how to pay and where to pay just seems wrong to me. How can you pay something without at least an invoice stating how much is due and when!?

In the UK all services send you a bill for a payment to be made against. Not only that, but we would have have numerous bills and late payment letters in the UK over the course of 5 years, in fact it would never get anywhere near 5 years before action was taken.

I'm baffled as to why the HOA has waited this long before doing anything and then it was only an invoice we received from the law firm acting on their behalf requesting all the back due fee's and the interest etc.

I'm not disputing the actual HOA fee's and have in fact sent payment for them in full, albeit a crippling blow to our finances, we have just held back on the other charges but by the sounds of it seems we just have to suck it up.

STEPHAN

So, when you bought the property, who did you think paid the insurance, took care of the garden etc?

healeydave

We pay the insurance and the insurance company sends us a renewal every year so we know how much the policy is and what to pay.

The lawns are indeed however a good point, we now know there is no lawn fairy.

STEPHAN

I don't believe that you pay the property insurance. This is usually done by the HOA. You only have an inurance for your unit.

However I understand your surprise. Well, you did a transaction in a different country without learning all the rules first. I am very certain that the HOA was mentioned in your closing documents.

You don't know what the HOA did to notify you. I am sure you are required to have a local address, did you give any when you closed?

healeydave

We do pay our property insurance directly, the same as we do on our home in the UK.
We filed our UK address with the relevant authorities and its listed on the home deeds correctly.

I feel a bit stupid now but I do believe there was negligence on both sides. On our side we should have been more pro-active to figure out why were were not being billed for lawn cutting. I could lie and say we thought this was part of the property taxes but in all honesty, I just didn't give it a thought at all, although I could see that being plausible for a foreign owner as the property taxes do include refuse collection and a whole host of other things that we don't have in the UK either like school buses etc.

I have additional information too. The HOA does indeed send out voucher books (separated in quarters) to home owners notifying them of the payments required and when they are due and how to pay. They also send these to owners in the UK, the home behind ours receives them to their UK address, the HOA has just never sent us anything and that stands true to-date as the only correspondence we have received is from the Lawyer acting on their behalf but this begs the question, if the lawyer was able to contact us via post without issue, why didn't the HOA bother to send at least one letter!?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We do pay our property insurance directly, the same as we do on our home in the UK.
Yes, you pay the property insurance for your unit. The HOA pays property insurance for the common areas, etc., which you need to pay your share of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">