• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I fix this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessicag1019

I am in Illinois. I will try to keep this short and to the point. My parents died and left their building to myself and 3 other siblings. Taxes didn't get paid and there was a lean put on the house. We needed a loan from the bank. When we sat down to do all this we were told that we couldn't get approved for a loan because my credit was so bad (ex husband ruined it). The advice we got was to take my name off the land trust and get the loan and at a later time put me back on before the house was sold. Well the house is going to be sold soon and my siblings are refusing to put me back on the trust due to family drama. How do I go about fixing this? All I want is what my mom and dad left me. Thanks for any help.

John Se

have a lawyer file a lis pendens

I am in Illinois. I will try to keep this short and to the point. My parents died and left their building to myself and 3 other siblings. Taxes didn't get paid and there was a lean put on the house. We needed a loan from the bank. When we sat down to do all this we were told that we couldn't get approved for a loan because my credit was so bad (ex husband ruined it). The advice we got was to take my name off the land trust and get the loan and at a later time put me back on before the house was sold. Well the house is going to be sold soon and my siblings are refusing to put me back on the trust due to family drama. How do I go about fixing this? All I want is what my mom and dad left me. Thanks for any help.
have a lawyer file a lis pendens, that will cloud up the title and they wont be able to sell, they will have to negotiate or the house will sit unsold. I assume we are talking about a free and clear house worth a substantial amount of money on the free market.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
have a lawyer file a lis pendens, that will cloud up the title and they wont be able to sell, they will have to negotiate or the house will sit unsold. I assume we are talking about a free and clear house worth a substantial amount of money on the free market.
I don't believe any suit has been filed, nor do I believe that we have enough facts in this matter to even suggest that a lawsuit would be viable. It sounds to me like the OP voluntarily gave up her rights to the house in question and hoped that some backroom handshake deal would secure her interest in it, despite the writing to the contrary.

The OP definitely needs a real-estate attorney.

FlyingRon

Further, a lis pendens isn't likely to stop a tax sale. What needs to be done immediately is satisfy the unpaid taxes. Then they can see if they can get creative (either financing or buying each other out or outright selling the property).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">