• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Can I Get My Deposit Back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NeedAdvice

I have 2 concerns.

1st:
I recently moved from Milwaukee, WI to Arizona. I set up an move-out inspection with landlord. He was at the apt building early working in the basement or something. When I told him he could go ahead and inspect he said he had to leave but he knows I didn't do any damage. Despite my request, he just left without inspecting. He has my new address and told me he would mail my deopsit to me. Wisconsin law allows him 21 days to mail the deposit or list of deductions. About a month has passed now and I haven't received anything. I've called a few times, leaving a message for him to call me regarding my deposit. He hasn't returned my calls. One day I caught him at home. He told he he'd mailed it 10 days prior and he hung up on me. When i called him back to verify the mailing address, he wouldn't pick up, so I left a message, which he didn't return. Mail Does't take 10 days, so I don't beleive him.

I'm pretty sure that to get my money back I have to take him to small claims court. My problem is, though, that I've never had to sue anyone. How can I file a suit from out of state? Will he have the upperhand because he is there and I'm 2000 miles away?

2nd:
I gave my landlord 3 wks notice instead of a month. So, although I only occupied the apt. til the 9th of the month, I paid him for the entire month. The apt across the hall was empty and while showing it he came over to my apt (with the potential tenants) to verify my moving date as though he was interested in getting them in A.S.A.P.. If I paid for the whole month, can he rent it out to someone else even though I don't live there?

Someone, please respond.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NeedAdvice:
I have 2 concerns.

1st:
I recently moved from Milwaukee, WI to Arizona. I set up an move-out inspection with landlord. He was at the apt building early working in the basement or something. When I told him he could go ahead and inspect he said he had to leave but he knows I didn't do any damage. Despite my request, he just left without inspecting. He has my new address and told me he would mail my deopsit to me. Wisconsin law allows him 21 days to mail the deposit or list of deductions. About a month has passed now and I haven't received anything. I've called a few times, leaving a message for him to call me regarding my deposit. He hasn't returned my calls. One day I caught him at home. He told he he'd mailed it 10 days prior and he hung up on me. When i called him back to verify the mailing address, he wouldn't pick up, so I left a message, which he didn't return. Mail Does't take 10 days, so I don't beleive him.

I'm pretty sure that to get my money back I have to take him to small claims court. My problem is, though, that I've never had to sue anyone. How can I file a suit from out of state? Will he have the upperhand because he is there and I'm 2000 miles away?

2nd:
I gave my landlord 3 wks notice instead of a month. So, although I only occupied the apt. til the 9th of the month, I paid him for the entire month. The apt across the hall was empty and while showing it he came over to my apt (with the potential tenants) to verify my moving date as though he was interested in getting them in A.S.A.P.. If I paid for the whole month, can he rent it out to someone else even though I don't live there?

Someone, please respond.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) For starters make a batch of microwave popcorn.

2) do a search on this BB with the keywords security deposit.

2) Enjoy the reading.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">