• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I get my property back from new owner of my boyfriends home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yvetteabby

Some of my belongings were stored at my boyfriend's house and I just found out he didn't get my belongings out of the home that was bought at auction and home has new locks and my belongings are valued at over $5,000. Do I call local police or call property tax people to find out who the new owners are to get my stuff or value of my property?

adjusterjack

Some of my belongings were stored at my boyfriend's house and I just found out he didn't get my belongings out of the home that was bought at auction and home has new locks and my belongings are valued at over $5,000. Do I call local police or call property tax people to find out who the new owners are to get my stuff or value of my property?
I'm guessing that your belongings are gone by now but you can probably find the new owners names on the county recorder, tax or assessor's website. Or (here's a novel idea) go to the house and knock on the door.

Anyway, depending on the arrangement that you had with your boyfriend (ex-boyfriend?), he may be the one responsible for the loss of your property.

Read this article on "bailments."

http://everything2.com/?node_id=191692

If you want more discussion, come back to this thread with details about exactly what the arrangement was.

Yvetteabby

The home was sold at a auction last year and he had a year to buy back the home. He left the property because utilities were turned off and the person who had info on the house never called back when message was left to call back there was no eviction notice either when he didn't pay the back property taxes of over $7,000. Two weeks ago he told me he was going there every day to get my stuff and only to find out yesterday he never got any of my stuff out only some of his stuff. He said new locks were on doors and a dumpster. My stuff was stuff I has delivered to his house that I bought over the last 2 years for when I move. I was not a resident in the home.

latigo

The home was sold at a auction last year and he had a year to buy back the home. He left the property because utilities were turned off and the person who had info on the house never called back when message was left to call back there was no eviction notice either when he didn't pay the back property taxes of over $7,000. Two weeks ago he told me he was going there every day to get my stuff and only to find out yesterday he never got any of my stuff out only some of his stuff. He said new locks were on doors and a dumpster. My stuff was stuff I has delivered to his house that I bought over the last 2 years for when I move. I was not a resident in the home.
You are going to have a tough time proving that any personal property was in the home at the time it was sold, or for that matter at the time when the previous owner abandoned it. Or whomever might be currently in possession and or control. Much less be able to establish your ownership.

In fact, if the purchaser or whomever you might elect to sue for replevin denies any such presence or possession, truthfully or not, the problem will be insurmountable.

And you can pull up all the stupid "links" ajax throws at you (he seems to have an endless supply), but they ain't going to help in sustaining your burden of proof of their existence, whomever has them, or your ownership and entitlement to possess them!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">