• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I recover damages?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beverly Hall

I rented my mobile home about 10 months ago.We didn't have a written contract only a verbal agreement. I explained the rent would be $250.00 deposit with the first months rent. I was reminded, by my husband, the front and back door needed new locks and we had purchased several rugs to replace the carpet. I explained, if she could find someone to do this, I would waiver the deposit. It was around the 20th of the month. I knew she had three children and needed a place for them. I told her if she wanted, she could go ahead and move in and she could start the following month with the rent. This would give her one pay check to get the lights, gas, and cable turned on. After paying the rent 2-3 times to my morgage co. before the 10th, when my payments are due, to prevent a late charge and bad credit. The next few months, she was behind almost 3 months. I called her and again explained I must have the rent by the first no later than the fifth. She again agreed, she would pay. The next, month the toilet pipe under the house burst and they tried to fix it and was unsucessful, also she said the lights was not working in the 2nd bedroom. My husband called the plumber. It was fixed within 1-2days. The rent continued to be late so I called her and told her ao leave (30 days from the date I told her). On October 9, 2000 she moved out. I went to the house it was a wreck, the window in the 3rd bedroom was broken out, her personal clothing, some curtains, trash everywhere, the rugs tossed on the screened porch,(the new rugs she supposed to put down to wavier the deposit) nasty. Toilet back in the 2nd bathroom broke. Everything nasty and almost destroyed. All of my flowers in the front yard are destroyed. Neither doors has locks. She has not returned my house keys. She sees my truck, she leaves.

Question?
Will I be able to recover any damages?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beverly Hall:
I rented my mobile home about 10 months ago.We didn't have a written contract only a verbal agreement. I explained the rent would be $250.00 deposit with the first months rent. I was reminded, by my husband, the front and back door needed new locks and we had purchased several rugs to replace the carpet. I explained, if she could find someone to do this, I would waiver the deposit. It was around the 20th of the month. I knew she had three children and needed a place for them. I told her if she wanted, she could go ahead and move in and she could start the following month with the rent. This would give her one pay check to get the lights, gas, and cable turned on. After paying the rent 2-3 times to my morgage co. before the 10th, when my payments are due, to prevent a late charge and bad credit. The next few months, she was behind almost 3 months. I called her and again explained I must have the rent by the first no later than the fifth. She again agreed, she would pay. The next, month the toilet pipe under the house burst and they tried to fix it and was unsucessful, also she said the lights was not working in the 2nd bedroom. My husband called the plumber. It was fixed within 1-2days. The rent continued to be late so I called her and told her ao leave (30 days from the date I told her). On October 9, 2000 she moved out. I went to the house it was a wreck, the window in the 3rd bedroom was broken out, her personal clothing, some curtains, trash everywhere, the rugs tossed on the screened porch,(the new rugs she supposed to put down to wavier the deposit) nasty. Toilet back in the 2nd bathroom broke. Everything nasty and almost destroyed. All of my flowers in the front yard are destroyed. Neither doors has locks. She has not returned my house keys. She sees my truck, she leaves.

Question?
Will I be able to recover any damages?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Answer: most likely not if T has no money. You could file a small claims action and get a judgement but it may not be worth the paper it is written on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">