• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change my new married name on Property Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dodgerdog

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have recently changed my name and want to change it on the Deed to my home. I called the Department of records and they told me I needed an Attorney to do this. I own the property free and clear and do not want to add any other people to the deed. From what I have read, Quitclaim deeds are useless in Texas. Do I need a Warranty Deed from a Title Co.? If I don't record the name change at this time, will it hang me up later when and if I try to sell the property? Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

FlyingRon

I don't think leaving the old name will hurt you. Make sure you keep true copies of the marriage certificate. We just retitled our house into our trust and my wife's previous name was still on the previous deed, they just put "formally known as..." in the new deed.

The taxing agencies usually are more than happy to correct the name on their records. Frankly, I just carried around a stack of marriage certificates for anybody who wanted one while fixing up the names.

To do it officially, you will want to prepare a correction deed (essentially a cover deed that says substitute this new one you've prepared for the old one). The new deed would be the same as the previous one except for the difference in name.

A lawyer should be able to do it for a few hundred dollars.

John Se

Deed from you to you

New warranty deed reads From me a married woman "my old name" to Me "my new name" as sole and seperate property.

nextwife

It really is NOT necessary. When you sell someday, just notify the title company that you are now Jane Smith, formerly known as Jane Doe.

dodgerdog

Thanks all. I contacted my orignal Title Company and they said I didn't have to do anything if I didn't want to. They said the same thing as NextWife did. They told me that is how everyone they encounter in this situation does it and they haven't had any problems so far.
:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">