• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Determine Fair Compensation for Granting Public Utility Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FuLLTiLT

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

The city's waste water department has expressed interest in purchasing a small piece of my parcel to install a lift station.

It seems simply enough to come up with my own asking price for the real estate as there are several other parcels for sale in close proximity.

I am considering to propose a different solution where the waste water department could have access to the property via an easement as opposed to an outright purchase. Before I propose this, I would like to have a figure in my head that I would like to receive for compensation.

My question is this...

How would one determine fair and just compensation for granting easement rights for a public utility?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

The city's waste water department has expressed interest in purchasing a small piece of my parcel to install a lift station.

It seems simply enough to come up with my own asking price for the real estate as there are several other parcels for sale in close proximity.

I am considering to propose a different solution where the waste water department could have access to the property via an easement as opposed to an outright purchase. Before I propose this, I would like to have a figure in my head that I would like to receive for compensation.

My question is this...

How would one determine fair and just compensation for granting easement rights for a public utility?
**A: talk to a real estate appraiser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">