+ Reply to Thread
    FuLLTiLT is offline Junior Member

How to Determine Fair Compensation for Granting Public Utility Easement

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

The city's waste water department has expressed interest in purchasing a small piece of my parcel to install a lift station.

It seems simply enough to come up with my own asking price for the real estate as there are several other parcels for sale in close proximity.

I am considering to propose a different solution where the waste water department could have access to the property via an easement as opposed to an outright purchase. Before I propose this, I would like to have a figure in my head that I would like to receive for compensation.

My question is this...

How would one determine fair and just compensation for granting easement rights for a public utility?
    HomeGuru is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FuLLTiLT View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

The city's waste water department has expressed interest in purchasing a small piece of my parcel to install a lift station.

It seems simply enough to come up with my own asking price for the real estate as there are several other parcels for sale in close proximity.

I am considering to propose a different solution where the waste water department could have access to the property via an easement as opposed to an outright purchase. Before I propose this, I would like to have a figure in my head that I would like to receive for compensation.

My question is this...

How would one determine fair and just compensation for granting easement rights for a public utility?
    **A: talk to a real estate appraiser.