• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I go about reporting a squatter here in Suffolk County?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MissShelly84

There was a house that was foreclosed after a man died and the mans daughter moved in ( She didnt know him, just found out he passed) and jumped onto the opportunity to move in with her children. She doesnt work and is a known drug user.Who do I call to report her and get this sorry excuse for a person out of our neighborhood. Also what rights does she have that pertain to squatters rights? Thank you.

Proserpina

I did not ask the question to be answered by someone with no knowledge of the answer I'm searching for. The reason why it's "my buisness" is because I am a neighbor and don't want someone like this around my family. Second she's constantly bragging to everyone on the block how she is living rent free in a house that is being foreclosed and she thinks it's funny that they haven't caught on yet.

The fine art of MYOB is so sadly lacking from society these days.

But again - report the bad person to the police. Not the emergency number, obviously.

Ask yourself this though: What are you going to do with all of your righteous outrage, if it turns out that she is - eventually - allowed to live there?

It's not as if you can force her out. :cool:

justalayman

if you really want to get all up in the neighbors business, find out who currently owns the house and contact them to report the squatter. Other than that, there is likely little you or the police can do. A person is not actually trespassing unless the owner makes a complaint of trespassing. The police are not the arbiters of who has a right to be in a home.

nextwife

Until foreclosure is totally completed, she cannot be evicted. If the bank owns the house now, you can advise the REO manager or management company of who is in the house. (the foreclosure attorney is of record and would know who to refer you to) .It does help the eviction process, and getting the house turned over to a responsible owner who will more likely maintain the property. Due to the tenant protection act, even after a one to two year eviction process, getting a timely eviction after foreclosure is harder if one does not know who is in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">