• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I legally invest into this Real Estate flip?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

limpidmind

I know someone who is currently rehabbing a property and has run out of money. He is looking for an investor with $25K to finish the project and is offering $25K in return (double my investment).

I have looked at the comps and it looks like a great opportunity but I am not sure how to proceed. I want to make sure I handle our partnership legally and protect myself as much as possible if things go south.

I'd thought I'd see if anyone could offer some advice before I seek out an attorney.

HuAi

The rehabber can sign a promissary note and you place a lien of $50k on the place - essentially a second mortgage. Your lien will be behind any primary mortgage, so if the place doesnt sell for what you think it will, you may not be able to collect.

FlyingRon

If he liens the property, it will be near impossible to sell the property without him removing the lien, he doesn't even have to worry about priority until whoever holds the first note comes to foreclose.

tranquility

There cannot be a note as then we would be talking about interest and not an investment. Unless we're talking about holding the property a lot of years, we would have usury.

This would have to be a true partnership with the agreement spelled out. See an attorney.

HomeGuru

I know someone who is currently rehabbing a property and has run out of money. He is looking for an investor with $25K to finish the project and is offering $25K in return (double my investment).

I have looked at the comps and it looks like a great opportunity but I am not sure how to proceed. I want to make sure I handle our partnership legally and protect myself as much as possible if things go south.

I'd thought I'd see if anyone could offer some advice before I seek out an attorney.

**A: I would not do the deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">