• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to get name off property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcgc7632

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Thirty years ago my husband and I bought a piece of land in Arizona with another person (other person owns 50%, we own 50%). After purchasing, other person eventually stopped paying his half of the property taxes and moved out of state, not telling us where exactly he went. We paid the entire property tax bill for many years following, and then we finally stopped paying the tax, too.

The property is in an isolated area with no vehicle access and no nearby utility access, and is basically worthless, but the county says it's worth about $20,000. We get notices every year from the county that the property will be auctioned off which is what we want. Nobody ever buys it, and we still keep getting a property tax bill.

We can't sell it because we don't know where the other owner is and, if we did find him, he'd probably not cooperate. And I'm quite sure he'd never buy our half. Even if he did cooperate to sell it, I highly doubt anyone would buy the property for any amount of money.

My worry is that, now that we are older, should our savings be drained due to a health catastrophe, we would not qualify for state medical assistance due to this "asset."

Is there a way to get our names off of this property?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Thirty years ago my husband and I bought a piece of land in Arizona with another person (other person owns 50%, we own 50%). After purchasing, other person eventually stopped paying his half of the property taxes and moved out of state, not telling us where exactly he went. We paid the entire property tax bill for many years following, and then we finally stopped paying the tax, too.

The property is in an isolated area with no vehicle access and no nearby utility access, and is basically worthless, but the county says it's worth about $20,000. We get notices every year from the county that the property will be auctioned off which is what we want. Nobody ever buys it, and we still keep getting a property tax bill.

We can't sell it because we don't know where the other owner is and, if we did find him, he'd probably not cooperate. And I'm quite sure he'd never buy our half. Even if he did cooperate to sell it, I highly doubt anyone would buy the property for any amount of money.

My worry is that, now that we are older, should our savings be drained due to a health catastrophe, we would not qualify for state medical assistance due to this "asset."

Is there a way to get our names off of this property?
Honestly? Not that I can think of. Donating the land to a charitable organization comes to mind, but its unlikely that they would accept it with the property tax liens on it.

How much is the annual property tax? I am thinking that getting the property appraised and then fighting with the county in question might also be an option. However it might be less expensive to pay the tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">