• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to quitclaim a parcel of land, payable on signature

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curioussusan

New Jersey

I bought the parcel of "landlocked" land next to my "significant other's property which we have been living on. Plans for marriage are not in the definite future, but I would like to be sure that in any event the land can be owned by him, or the owner of his property. But it behooves us not to merge the properties right now, since it would make the property tax of the main property go up signficantly. The tax on my bit of land is negligible while it is considered by itself (since you can't get to it from any road.)

Is a quitclaim deed, with a place for his signature kept open until he accepts the deed, an option? Can I put it with my legal papers and have it presented to him when I want, or when I die, for his signature? Does he have to be a part of this arrangement?

Thanks for any info you can give.

curious susan

HomeGuru

New Jersey

I bought the parcel of "landlocked" land next to my "significant other's property which we have been living on. Plans for marriage are not in the definite future, but I would like to be sure that in any event the land can be owned by him, or the owner of his property. But it behooves us not to merge the properties right now, since it would make the property tax of the main property go up signficantly. The tax on my bit of land is negligible while it is considered by itself (since you can't get to it from any road.)

Is a quitclaim deed, with a place for his signature kept open until he accepts the deed, an option? Can I put it with my legal papers and have it presented to him when I want, or when I die, for his signature? Does he have to be a part of this arrangement?

Thanks for any info you can give.

curious susan

**A: you're way off. Seek legal counsel please.

curioussusan

Thanks, Senior members

Thank you for quick answers, and I will certainly do this through a qualified attorney.
It's clearly shakey ground. That's what I wanted to know.

Best wishes, Susan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">