• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to remove someone off of a mortgage & auto loan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nv54

Kansas, USA
Thank you in advance community. I have researched the options to remove someone from these loans and have found refinancing or creating a trust. I don't fully understand or know if creating a trust will work and the family member in this situation can't afford the option of refinancing the home and auto. If it is of any relevance, the family members spouse has left the residence and currently is not making payments on either loan, but has possession of the auto. Any information or guidance is most appreciated. Thank you.

HomeGuru

Kansas, USA
Thank you in advance community. I have researched the options to remove someone from these loans and have found refinancing or creating a trust. I don't fully understand or know if creating a trust will work and the family member in this situation can't afford the option of refinancing the home and auto. If it is of any relevance, the family members spouse has left the residence and currently is not making payments on either loan, but has possession of the auto. Any information or guidance is most appreciated. Thank you.
**A: you would need to pay off the loans. A trust has nothing to do with financing and removing someone from the loans.

nv54

thank you! i do know the loans would total a sum over 90,000 so a payoff is not an option. divorce and some settlement within that may be the only option. thanks again for your time

KevinRoy

Kansas, USA
Quitclaim won't do it. The remaining people on the loan must re qualify on their own in order to get the lender to release someone. This basically means "You have to refinance."

Sorry, but the lender based their decision to lend upon that person being responsible for the loan also. They won't let them off the contract that says, "I agree to pay..." without being certain (within underwriting guidelines, anyway) that the remaining people can make the payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">