• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to sell the house without cooperation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

exisadog

What is the name of your state? Virginia.
I wrote recently about my divorce settlement that stated that I would live in and pay the mortgage on the home we shared and the proceeds would be split equally if and when it was sold. I had trouble selling it and decided to rent it out for 8 years. She said, despite the settlement, she didn't want anything but now has reneged and wants half the proceeds of the upcoming sale. I was advised on this site to just sell it and pay her because I was quite stupid to begin with. Fine. Now, the problem is that we have been told the house needs thousands of dollars of termite treatments, paint, carpet, and residing before it can be sold. She refuses to pay any of this and we can't afford it alone, if we're going to lose half of the sale proceeds. Can we force her to pay anything at all? If we don't sell and continue to rent it, we're just throwing away our money just to give it to her later. Plus, we'll still have to make the repairs!

HomeGuru

exisadog said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia.
I wrote recently about my divorce settlement that stated that I would live in and pay the mortgage on the home we shared and the proceeds would be split equally if and when it was sold. I had trouble selling it and decided to rent it out for 8 years. She said, despite the settlement, she didn't want anything but now has reneged and wants half the proceeds of the upcoming sale. I was advised on this site to just sell it and pay her because I was quite stupid to begin with. Fine. Now, the problem is that we have been told the house needs thousands of dollars of termite treatments, paint, carpet, and residing before it can be sold. She refuses to pay any of this and we can't afford it alone, if we're going to lose half of the sale proceeds. Can we force her to pay anything at all? If we don't sell and continue to rent it, we're just throwing away our money just to give it to her later. Plus, we'll still have to make the repairs!
**A: then make the repairs you can afford and disclose the rest on an "as-is" sale with a home inspection.
Have an attorney help you.

C

cclovins

WHAT???? Just because someone tells you you need to jump from a bridge are you going to do it. You can sell any house in any condition at any time. You need to find the buyers yourself and disclose the condition and allow them to make an offer. Or have the buyer pay U$$$$$ to sell it for less...
Please read between the lines....good luck..:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">