• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husbands ex wont sign quitclaim.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mychele76

What is the name of your state? California

My husband was divorced some time ago and received the house and all the bills in the divorce agreement. The house was an awful mess at the time and had a 2nd and 3rd out on it.

Recently we got married and fixed up the house. It took us several months and several thousand dollars to do so. The 2nd and 3rd on the house are now paid off.

My husband and I have decided to sell, as the property value in our area is up and we have outgrown the current house we live in. Our problem is that his ex wife now feels that she is entitled to half when we sell our house. The house was clearly his when they divorced, but for some strange reason there was no quitclaim deed signed by her. I'm not sure how this happened or how it was overlooked but I am wondering how to handle this and what legal problems this may potentially cause us.

I would appreciate any help,

Mychele

HomeGuru

For some strange reason you need to review his divorce decree and distribution of assets to see what the Court ordered.

M

Mychele76

I already have reviewed it several times. It lists the property as his sole and seperate property.

HomeGuru

Mychele76 said:
I already have reviewed it several times. It lists the property as his sole and seperate property.
**A: then that is an incorrect listing since ex is still on the deed.
If he supposed to get complete title to the property then there should be instructions on him refinancing if there is a mortgage and her signing over the deed by a certain specified time period.
Absent these specific property distribution instructions, there leaves room for her to argue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">