• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband's mortgage, joint title, do I lose house if he dies?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cowpiefarm

What is the name of your state? Ohio. We closed yesterday on our home. The mortgage was in my husband's name only, due to my imperfect credit. The title is in both our names. Loan officer told us that if hubby were to die, that I would own the house, but not the mortgage. She stated that having a will would "fix" that situation. We do not have a will, and will have one drawn up, but we're uncertain as to exactly what needs to be in the will in order to avoid any sort of nasty situation in regards to the house and my name not being on the mortgage should hubby die. Thank you in advance for any advice or insight on this! :confused:

Souix

cowpiefarm said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio. We closed yesterday on our home. The mortgage was in my husband's name only, due to my imperfect credit. The title is in both our names. Loan officer told us that if hubby were to die, that I would own the house, but not the mortgage. She stated that having a will would "fix" that situation. We do not have a will, and will have one drawn up, but we're uncertain as to exactly what needs to be in the will in order to avoid any sort of nasty situation in regards to the house and my name not being on the mortgage should hubby die. Thank you in advance for any advice or insight on this! :confused:

***As I understand it, as long as you keep making the mortgage payments, and your name is on title, you will not lose the house. Or you can simply refinance. This is how our title on our house is set up too, because of my self-employment income, my husband is on the mortgage but we are both on title. There is also insurance you can purchase that will pay off the mortgage if either you or your husband passes away before the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">