• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have seen the light - unfortunately

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

A surfr uc

My next door neighbor has a street light in his yard that is owned by Virginia Power, but he pays monthly on it (?). The operative word is SHINE - at night it is so bright, our whole cul de sac is illuminated; this is not an exaggeration. My wife called the power company (oh by the way it's on OUR property) and the company put a piece of cardboard on our side so as not to illuminate our house. Long story short - it came to a head BIG time last night. He said he was going to remove the cardboard and move it on to his land. Do we have ANY recourse since this light shines right in to our living room and is botheresome?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A surfr uc:
My next door neighbor has a street light in his yard that is owned by Virginia Power, but he pays monthly on it (?). The operative word is SHINE - at night it is so bright, our whole cul de sac is illuminated; this is not an exaggeration. My wife called the power company (oh by the way it's on OUR property) and the company put a piece of cardboard on our side so as not to illuminate our house. Long story short - it came to a head BIG time last night. He said he was going to remove the cardboard and move it on to his land. Do we have ANY recourse since this light shines right in to our living room and is botheresome? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can the neighbor have the light pole in his yard yet on your property? It can not be moved by anyone except the power company.

A

A surfr uc

We built the house on the lot - it had been mistakenly installed over the property line before we started building. We didn't even mind that as much as the light. We had to buy thick wood blinds -$100 a pop - to block out the light.

A

A surfr uc

I hope this doesn't result in a double post; my first doesn't seem to have gone through. We built the house; the light was on our property when we moved in. That didn't bother us as much as the incendiary light - suntans at night anyone? Sorry I forgot to mention this, but it just happened last night and it riles me when I think about it. So the result is this light will be on his property, but illuminating our house as well as a few Third World countries.

T

Tracey

Whether the power company moves the pole is up to them. However, the utility easement is ONLY for the power company. They own the pole even if he pays for it. If N crosses your land to get to the light pole, he's trespassing & you can have him arrested. What does he care about some stupid piece of cardboard? It's not even on his land.

Send N a letter telling him he may not enter your land or hire others to enter your land. Then write the power company & tell them you want the pole to stay so that the cardboard to block the light can't be removed.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">