• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I purchased a home and the old tenant dont want to leave.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I purchased a home in Arleta California. There was people living in the garage which was built as a back home. The people in the actual home have already moved out but the ones in the garage dont want to leave. Supposebly they had a lease with the old owners to live there but I am now the new owner. Do they have the right to stay. Would there be any reason that they have that right. I know they have a lawyer but I'm not informed of what the issue is. I really don't want people to live in my garage for free how can I get them out.
my email is : [email protected]

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I purchased a home in Arleta California. There was people living in the garage which was built as a back home. The people in the actual home have already moved out but the ones in the garage dont want to leave. Supposebly they had a lease with the old owners to live there but I am now the new owner. Do they have the right to stay. Would there be any reason that they have that right. I know they have a lawyer but I'm not informed of what the issue is. I really don't want people to live in my garage for free how can I get them out.
my email is : [email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they have a fixed lease? If you closed the transaction through escrow, escrow was supposed to turn over a copy of the lease agreement along with the security deposit the Seller was holding. If there is no lease, then the tenants are m/m so send them a certified letter giving them a 30 notice to vacate. Why would you close on a property when there are tenants livng in the garage? Are they going to wash, wax and service your cars and give you a special deal on an oil change and tire rotation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">