• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to give house to my sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joek

What is the name of your state? Florida

Greetings, Several years ago I became joint owner of a home, through a quit claim deed, stating joint owners with right of survivorship.My brother was the other joint owner. In June of this year, my brother passed away and the house became mine through that deed. Now, the house is paid for fully and I want to give it to my sister who does not have a house of her own. I do not really need this house and I want to be generous and helpful to my sister. My concern is the tax issues. Am I subject to any taxes from my becoming sole owner and will I have any tax problems by giving this house as a gift? It is worth about 90,000 dollars.

HomeGuru

joek said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

Greetings, Several years ago I became joint owner of a home, through a quit claim deed, stating joint owners with right of survivorship.My brother was the other joint owner. In June of this year, my brother passed away and the house became mine through that deed. Now, the house is paid for fully and I want to give it to my sister who does not have a house of her own. I do not really need this house and I want to be generous and helpful to my sister. My concern is the tax issues. Am I subject to any taxes from my becoming sole owner and will I have any tax problems by giving this house as a gift? It is worth about 90,000 dollars.

**A: please post on the Tax Law board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">