• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to move out and Im not on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackie_ali

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My question is....my roommate signed the lease contract for a year last Dec. 2008, I wish to move out the house, I am not on the lease....do i need to pay the termination fee? Does he have right to take me to the court and sue me for that?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My question is....my roommate signed the lease contract for a year last Dec. 2008, I wish to move out the house, I am not on the lease....do i need to pay the termination fee? Does he have right to take me to the court and sue me for that?
**A: yes and yes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
HG - how would our OP be obligated under a lease s/he is not a party to?

Sounds to me like our OP is a mtm tenant...

HomeGuru

HG - how would our OP be obligated under a lease s/he is not a party to?

**A: you missed the point. The OP is obligated as a tenant under an oral lease agreement. The fact that the OP did not sign the lease does not matter as the tenant that did sign relied on the OP as a roommate. OP now wants to default on the oral lease.
Of course there is more to this story.

######
Sounds to me like our OP is a mtm tenant...

**A: yes, but like I said, there is more to this story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">