• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal to live together without being married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyhawk

Hi! Is it true that it is against the law for a non-married couple to live together in NOrth Carolina? We plan to relocate from South Florida on July 1 to the Charlotte area. My boyfriend (whom I have lived with for 8 years) contacted a realtor to find us a rental home and was told that it was against the law for them to rent us a house if we were not married! Does this apply to apartment living as well? Is there any way around this (say that I rent the place and then add him to my lease?). Also, does North Carolina recognized "common law" marriages? We are relocating as of July 1 and are afraid of what this could mean for us!!!! Help!!!

email: [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">