• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegally obtained legal costs in MD!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mortishah

I live in Baltimore County in Maryland. I was really late one month with the renat and I called the leasing office to verify all the late fees. I was told that I owed legal costs in addition to late fees. I know that when eviction notices are issued, the police put it on your door and you laso get a copy in the mail. I never got them. The manager told me that they acrue automatically after the 10th of the month. the lease does not say that. I think she charged me for legal fees which she never incurred. She was really nasty when I asked if she had a copy of them. Just from past experience with her, I do not trust her at all. What can I do to find out that I have been cheated, and if so, what do I do then? Do I take her to court? Will I be allowed to move out? I am thinking of checking with the sheriff to verify serving of the evictions papers. Please help me. I do not feel comfortable living there and I want to leave if I can, legally.

T

Tracey

Where the law or lease allows L to charge T attorney fees for evictions/suits, L must actually incurr the fees. L can't just tack imaginary fees onto the late fees without engaging a lawyer. Sue L in small claims. If you never received the papers, L never had to pay the attorney or process server. Sue L for breach of the lease (charging more than the authorized late fees). This will force L to bring in proof that she incurred fees relating to YOUR account. Be sure your complaint says that you have requested this proof before filing suit & L refused to disclose it to you. That way, there's a good chance the judge won't award L attorney fees for the suit even if you don't win.

Go ahead & try to verify service with the sheriff. Was service cancelled or never contracted? Also, assume L will try to withhold your entire damage deposit. Start covering your ass now. Be sure you take pictures/camcorder with time/date stamp when you leave, AND have witnesses who can testify that there were no funny smells when you left.

You should write L requesting she send you proof that she incurred legal fees relating to your account. Send the letter certified, return receipt. Keep a copy to show the court. After you file the suit, resend the letter and demand the information as pre-trial discovery.

Charging you attorney fees is probably not grounds for you to terminate the lease. However, read the MD residential landlord tenant act & see if you can find other grounds in there (written notice of a violation/repair & intent to terminate, time to respond, termination). The RLTA starts in Title 8, sec 201.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">