• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorportate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rcarnes

I have one rental property in Texas and will purchase another in the next few months. I am considering incorporating for liability and tax purposes as I add more properties. Which Corporate Style would be best for Rental Property, L.L.C., S., C., etc. Also how can I transer property I currently have into the corporation, would I have to sell it to the corporatation and go through closing? Is there a way to transfer ownership to the corporation in another way?
Thank You.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcarnes:
I have one rental property in Texas and will purchase another in the next few months. I am considering incorporating for liability and tax purposes as I add more properties. Which Corporate Style would be best for Rental Property, L.L.C., S., C., etc. Also how can I transer property I currently have into the corporation, would I have to sell it to the corporatation and go through closing? Is there a way to transfer ownership to the corporation in another way?
Thank You.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suggest you talk to a tax attorney with respect to your liability and tax questions. On a transfer of real estate from an indivdual to a corporation owned by the same indivdual, no formal escrow closing is needed. The attorney in most cases just files a Quit Claim deed to transfer title. If there is a mortgage on the property, be sure to check to see if the mortgage provisions contain a "due on sale" or "due on transfer clause".
Some mortgage documents have such a clause that allows the mortgage lender to call the entire loan due if there is a sale or transfer without the lenders' full consent and approval.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">