• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ingress and egress access rights on road own by me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jim 505

What is the name of your state? South Carolina
I own some vacation property that has and road jointly owned by myself and one other neighbor. The deed has a gives a right of access to use the road to the people from which the land was purchased,their heirs and or assigns. The road is blacktopped and rather steep in areas. About two years ago one of the assigns was doing some construction work and had some large trucks use the road. The road was totally destroyed and such was almost unusable by my family for about a year and a half. The individual responsible for the damage did pay for the repairs but it took almost 1 1/2 years for the repairs to be made.
Now another property owner wants to use the road and likewise take in some heavy trucks that are sure to damage the road again. He has said that he will make repairs to whatever damage is done.
I would like to point out that he does have another road that he can and does use to access his property but he does not want to damage that road since it is much longer and would cost more to repair.
Not wanting to have my payment destroyed again and have a long time when the road is impassable I would like to know if I have any legal rights to prevent him from using this road with the heavy trucks and equipment that will positively destroy the road.

FarmerJ

Before any new damage occurs atleast start taking pictures of the current condition of the driveway and have the pics dated by the developer . You might just have to consult with a attorney since they do have a alternate way of getting in .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">