• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited home in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

digital_pete

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello,

My mother passed away in 2006 in a motorcycle accident and since then, my brother has been living in her house. There was only $2000.00 left to pay on the home, which he paid for, so the house is completely paid off. I am the executor of the estate, however, the house is exempt from the estate. My brother wishes to keep the house but I want to sell it. He has poor credit and a low paying job so I'm almost positive that he can't buy me out. I would hate for it to come down to this but, can I legally force him to sell the home? It is in both of our names. :(

Thanks,

Pete

FlyingRon

If the house is now in your names, and he won't agree to sell, then your only option is a partition lawsuit which will require a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">