• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited property..cannot find lien holder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbd30

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa.

A relative left me her house in her will. When taking the steps to have the house put into my name I learned that there is a lien on the property. I was told by someone at city hall when looking through records that the lien holder (is that correct?) isn't around anymore. There is no contact information for me. What steps do I take to have this released or go about paying what needs to be paid?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa.

A relative left me her house in her will. When taking the steps to have the house put into my name I learned that there is a lien on the property. I was told by someone at city hall when looking through records that the lien holder (is that correct?) isn't around anymore. There is no contact information for me. What steps do I take to have this released or go about paying what needs to be paid?
Who is the lien holder (a bank, an individual)? Did said lien holder merge with someone else? For what is the lien?

djb301

I had to completely re-register and couldn't log in again. In the books it says the company is called Logan Consumer Discount Company. I have no idea what this is. They are no longer in business. I can't find anything on them. It was recorded in 1988 and 1990.

tranquility

Go to Google. Type in the following exactly, including the quotes:

"Logan Consumer Discount Company"

Edit:
Don't type in the edit or this or the following. Sheesh.

tranquility

Well gee thanx. Guess what? Not much there. Save your dramatic responses for someone else.
Not much there? Um...I...am..well...derp. You wrote:
I have no idea what this is. They are no longer in business. I can't find anything on them. It was recorded in 1988 and 1990.
Maybe you should call them. [(215) 546-3996]
Or, visit, perhaps write. [1334 Walnut St, #36, Philadelphia, PA 19107]
You might contact the President. [Jerry Utz Rm 808 1420 Walnut St Philadelphia, PA 19102] Or the secretary or the vice president--who were also listed.

You could maybe find out they are in the consumer lending industry and have held mortgages.

For not much there, it certainly seems like you have enough to call or send a letter to begin to resolve your dramatic problem.

djb301

The number is out of service. There is no LCD at 1334 Walnut St. #36. I work in the area and reside close by. Talk to some business owners in the area too. There is no Jerry Utz at 1420 Walnut. Or his secretary. Tranquility do yourself a favor and stop typing. I'm sure there is something else on this huge forum for you to do.

tranquility

It's a current corporation listed at that address on the Secretary of State website. There are other addresses and numbers you can contact the principals at if you click through some of the links. There are two pay websites on the first page that will give specific data for a price. Thanks for playing, but, if you can't find anything on these guys, you just are not trying. Let's review:
I have no idea what this is.
I do, why don't you?
They are no longer in business.
The corporation is listed as current on the state corporations data base.
I can't find anything on them.
I have demonstrated why this is simply a false statement just by typing in the name of the company.
It was recorded in 1988 and 1990
It certainly sounds like the company would have rights to collect on the lien.

Info edit:
For a legal answer if you don't want to actually put in any effort to find the guys, the lawsuit is called an action to quiet title. You will need an attorney to sue the lienholder. You will need to show to the court why the lienholders could not be found with a diligent search and ask permission to serve by publication. At this point, I don't think you'd get permission.

Last edited:

LdiJ

It's a current corporation listed at that address on the Secretary of State website. There are other addresses and numbers you can contact the principals at if you click through some of the links. There are two pay websites on the first page that will give specific data for a price. Thanks for playing, but, if you can't find anything on these guys, you just are not trying. Let's review:
I do, why don't you?
The corporation is listed as current on the state corporations data base.
I have demonstrated why this is simply a false statement just by typing in the name of the company.
It certainly sounds like the company would have rights to collect on the lien.

Info edit:
For a legal answer if you don't want to actually put in any effort to find the guys, the lawsuit is called an action to quiet title. You will need an attorney to sue the lienholder. You will need to show to the court why the lienholders could not be found with a diligent search and ask permission to serve by publication. At this point, I don't think you'd get permission.
Tranq...a lien from 1988 or 1990 is 23-25 years ago. If the lien was not renewed, it may no longer be in effect. If it was renewed, one would think that the records would reflect that. I think that it makes it even stronger that the OP should consult an attorney.

justalayman

http://www.bizapedia.com/pa/LOGAN-CONSUMER-DISCOUNT-COMPANY.html

LOGAN CONSUMER DISCOUNT COMPANY

This information is current as of January 3, 2012.

Company Name: LOGAN CONSUMER DISCOUNT COMPANY

Entity Type: Domestic Business Corporation File Number: 209471

Filing State: Pennsylvania (PA)

Company Age: 49 Years, 4 Months

Registered Agent:
None Listed
1334-36 Walnut St 4th Fl
Philadelphia, PA 19107
So, last year the company was considered active and at the address you were given yet nobody in the area has ever heard of the business. I guess if you are in business for only 50 years I wouldn't expect too many people to have heard about it either.

Oh look. There was a suit filed in Dec of last year:

Keller, Joseph; Keller, Rosia; Main Street Mortgage Company; Logan Consumer Discount Company; Commonwealth of Pennsylvania--City of Philadelphia; Civil Tax Case - Petition; 1212-1361; December 11, 2012; Grifo, Rosario A.
I think OP needs to look for the business again.

LdiJ

http://www.bizapedia.com/pa/LOGAN-CONSUMER-DISCOUNT-COMPANY.html

So, last year the company was considered active and at the address you were given yet nobody in the area has ever heard of the business. I guess if you are in business for only 50 years I wouldn't expect too many people to have heard about it either.

Oh look. There was a suit filed in Dec of last year:

I think OP needs to look for the business again.
There is no registered agent....that is a huge issue. Once again I encourage the OP to consult a local attorney.

tranquility

While I agree an attorney is the only option, I'm not sure the relevance of the lien renewal. It seems a part of title to me.

Does one have to renew registered liens?

justalayman

While I agree an attorney is the only option, I'm not sure the relevance of the lien renewal. It seems a part of title to me.

I believe I saw where a lien, in PA, expires after 5 years. I didn't do a lot of research though considering the attitude of the OP.

LdiJ

A judgment, which results in in lien, does eventually expire. If this lien was part of a mortgage or home equity loan of course it wouldn't expire, but if it was part of a judgment (which kind of seems more likely to me) then it would. Its also very telling that the company in question has no registered agent.

tranquility

The company seems to be in at least three lawsuits last year as a defendant in regards to title. I think they either buy paper or make a loan secured by the property in the first place. I do note, that at least three plaintiffs found them in order to make service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">