• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insterspousal Transfer Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rainday59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband is buying investment property without my agreement. He is the borrower. I am being asked by the title company to sign an Interspousal Grant Deed. Does this in any way protect our jointly owned home or me? Our home is not being used as collateral. If the deal goes south, will I be held jointly responsible for the loan? I've held off signing it until I can talk to an attorney.

Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My husband is buying investment property without my agreement. He is the borrower. I am being asked by the title company to sign an Interspousal Grant Deed. Does this in any way protect our jointly owned home or me? Our home is not being used as collateral. If the deal goes south, will I be held jointly responsible for the loan? I've held off signing it until I can talk to an attorney.

Thank you
California is a community property state therefore no, you cannot protect jointly owned assets or yourself against debt incurred by your spouse. Anything you would be asked to sign would be designed to protect the creditor, not you.

Rainday59

California is a community property state therefore no, you cannot protect jointly owned assets or yourself against debt incurred by your spouse. Anything you would be asked to sign would be designed to protect the creditor, not you.
Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">