• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intent to sue letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

This is an issue regarding automatic PMI termination at 78% LTV and the Home Owner Protection Act. I have an issue with my servicer and have tried to work it out with them to no avail by filing complaints with the BBB and CFPB. I finally dropped it thinking that I may not have a case however this morning, I found a case that was won based on the very same issue that I'm having with the very same servicer. Yay! :)

So I know that I have a valid law suit that I think I will likely win if I were to hire an attorney. My question is can I send an intent to sue and ask for any damages like statutory damages (outside of a law suit they might just be called "aggravation damages") or is this illegal? I personally spent a tremendous amount of time fighting this, filling complaints, calling, writing letters, etc. not to mention the stress of dealing with these morons. :mad:

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

can someone answer this question?

I'm not trying to extort money from this company but if I filed suit and won, I would be entitled to statutory damages so why not ask for extra for my own aggravation? All I want to do is give the opportunity to settle this before I file the suit. And I've contacted several attorneys to get the ball rolling to file the suit and I'm having a hard time finding anyone that handles this kind of particular case in my area. I've contacted 5 consumer attorneys and 4 real estate and mortgage law type of attorneys.

FlyingRon

The BBB is by and large a waste of time. It has not authority to do anything, it presumes the business cares what you report to them. As for government agencies you might have better luck with HUD and the FDIC than the CFPB.

The first thing you need to do is actually determine if your loan is subject to the automatic cancellation of PMI when you hit 22% equity. Not all do. If you are a "high risk" loan, you may not qualify.

Anyhow, all you can sue for is the actual payments made that you were not obligated to make and the out of pocket costs of the lawsuit. You don't get to sue for "aggravation." It's not the lender's problem you have psychological issues.

Read this and ask back if you have questions: http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/rmra/res/respapmi

Hi FlyingRon,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. My loan is not a high risk loan or FHA loan and it is subject to cancel at 78% LTV. This case here mirrors my own issue almost identically: https://ecf.wvnd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2014cv0093-36. The servicer has definitely contributed to any psychological issues that I have at present. Of course I should not let people or entities make me crazy but sometimes they just get the best of me. :eek:

I think it's in my best interest to sue them and one of the reasons that I say this is that at the same time their legal team was fighting the case I linked you to above, they had a paralegal responding to my questions to which I had posed the same arguments as the attorney did; mainly that the mod didn't change the original terms of the loan documents and if it did, I didn't agree to any new terms other than what was in the mod. They are NEVER going to take me seriously without an attorney. I'm just afraid I will not be able to find an attorney that will handle this.

I do have some other questions regarding HPA; should mortgage insurance premiums adjust based on the principle balance? How does TILA and RESPA apply to mods or do they?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Hi FlyingRon,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. My loan is not a high risk loan or FHA loan and it is subject to cancel at 78% LTV. This case here mirrors my own issue almost identically: https://ecf.wvnd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2014cv0093-36. The servicer has definitely contributed to any psychological issues that I have at present. Of course I should not let people or entities make me crazy but sometimes they just get the best of me. :eek:

I think it's in my best interest to sue them and one of the reasons that I say this is that at the same time their legal team was fighting the case I linked you to above, they had a paralegal responding to my questions to which I had posed the same arguments as the attorney did; mainly that the mod didn't change the original terms of the loan documents and if it did, I didn't agree to any new terms other than what was in the mod. They are NEVER going to take me seriously without an attorney. I'm just afraid I will not be able to find an attorney that will handle this.

I do have some other questions regarding HPA; should mortgage insurance premiums adjust based on the principle balance? How does TILA and RESPA apply to mods or do they?
When you can't find an attorney to take your case without you paying large sums of money up front, it's usually an excellent sign that you simply don't have a case.

(Or, at least, not a case worth litigating)

tranquility

Hi FlyingRon,

I suspect the case does not "mirror" your own since it included intense calculations and many facts you have not included and I suspect are not almost identical. Also, there is no way you will get psychological damages for such a breach if there is one.

As to the issue of the price the automatic date is calculated on, I agree it seems from the case one court without precedent value agrees with you as a matter of law, absent specific provisions in the documents making your current loan more akin to a refinance rather than a modification, the price of the house you got the loan with originally should be the calculation in regards to the automatic date and not the value of the house as of the date of the (probably) HAMP modification.

When you can't find an attorney to take your case without you paying large sums of money up front, it's usually an excellent sign that you simply don't have a case.

(Or, at least, not a case worth litigating)
I believe if anything, the last part is true. Looks like the only thing that an attorney would expect to get is reimbursed for her time.

I suspect the case does not "mirror" your own since it included intense calculations and many facts you have not included and I suspect are not almost identical. Also, there is no way you will get psychological damages for such a breach if there is one.
Actually it is so closely mirrors my own that it is laughable including all intense calculations which actually are not all that intense. Like the plaintiff, I also started with Countrywide, then BOA, then sold to the current morons. Modified the same year within months of each other. I even got an new amortization schedule from the servicer the same year as the plaintiff which is happenstance. I bet he, like I, started getting the annual PMI termination letters, and probably got to wondering just like I did and requested an amortization schedule. The ONLY thing that differs that I had refinanced with Countrywide. Based on that, the HPA states the servicer must go by appraised value and not the lesser of the purchase price since there is no purchase price in a refi.

As to the issue of the price the automatic date is calculated on, I agree it seems from the case one court without precedent value agrees with you as a matter of law, absent specific provisions in the documents making your current loan more akin to a refinance rather than a modification, the price of the house you got the loan with originally should be the calculation in regards to the automatic date and not the value of the house as of the date of the (probably) HAMP modification.
Yes it was a HAMP mod. however unlike a refi, the HAMP mods are not required to issue the same docs required under TILA and RESPA which actually can leave one scratching their heads. I got laid off shortly after the housing bubble burst, my husband was laid off before. We're very lucky we were able to weather the storm and didn't lose it all.

tranquility

Actually it is so closely mirrors my own that it is laughable including all intense calculations which actually are not all that intense.
I do taxes. One of the areas I specialize in is income property issues. That you feel the calculations are not intense, more power to you. I spent way more time than deserved (Because of the casual nature on the forum.) on the case as I like to learn. I had a problem following along with the calculations. Then again, I'm the guy a guy like you would come to to make sure the bank's calculation is correct and I wanted to make sure I understood the court's calculations. In other words, I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff, your thing is pretty much in my ballpark, and I felt the calculations intense. Of course it would be easier with all the facts, including amortization schedules. But, either you are a super brain or I am missing something.

Like the plaintiff, I also started with Countrywide, then BOA, then sold to the current morons.
This is of no issue unless you are going to get involved with a class action. The meaning of the case has nothing to do with the players.

Modified the same year within months of each other. I even got an new amortization schedule from the servicer the same year as the plaintiff which is happenstance.
This is a valid point. Odds are the calculation is much as in the case.

I bet he, like I, started getting the annual PMI termination letters, and probably got to wondering just like I did and requested an amortization schedule.
I disagree. There is nothing about a letter being sent. Since I believe that may be relevant, the facts of the case would probably have included it. I do agree an amortization schedule is key. Without that, you have no idea about potential damages.

The ONLY thing that differs that I had refinanced with Countrywide.
This is one reason why an attorney is imperative. I think, at the very least, the issue is complex and a pro per is not going to get compensation according to the time required. I mean, really, how much were you hurt? At the most? If you REFINANCED then you have nothing. Not a little tiny baby thing. The case has no relevance. You have no real argument. From now on, I suggest you use the term "modified" from now on. Just saying.

Based on that, the HPA states the servicer must go by appraised value and not the lesser of the purchase price since there is no purchase price in a refi.
Your statement is legally untrue. See above for at least one of the reasons. I don't have the facts so the reality may be different. But, if you took from that case from another than your (Or, any at that level.) jurisdiction as controlling, you would be making a mistake. Then, you also have the "refi" jargon. If that is the case rather than a "modification", you have a problem. Stop saying silly things. Get with the program. Making things all "legal like" depends on words and theory. If you want to fight this thing the other party is not really going to give in to because you stand akimbo and speak deeply, is not going to happen. If you want to win, you will need to sue and win.

Yes it was a HAMP mod. however unlike a refi, the HAMP mods are not required to issue the same docs required under TILA and RESPA which actually can leave one scratching their heads. I got laid off shortly after the housing bubble burst, my husband was laid off before. We're very lucky we were able to weather the storm and didn't lose it all.
We'll see. That is still in play. That is one of the most powerful things the other party knows. Argument alone hurts you more than them. If they lose to you, no one goes home with less steaks in the freezer. What is it you claim? What do you think, specifically, are your damages?

I do taxes. One of the areas I specialize in is income property issues. That you feel the calculations are not intense, more power to you. I spent way more time than deserved (Because of the casual nature on the forum.) on the case as I like to learn. I had a problem following along with the calculations. Then again, I'm the guy a guy like you would come to to make sure the bank's calculation is correct and I wanted to make sure I understood the court's calculations. In other words, I'm pretty good at this kind of stuff, your thing is pretty much in my ballpark, and I felt the calculations intense. Of course it would be easier with all the facts, including amortization schedules. But, either you are a super brain or I am missing something.
This doesn't require a super brain and of course you are missing the amortization schedule and other figures whereas I'm not. The entire case basically reiterates that the HPA is fairly cut and dry on the issues:

PMI automatically terminates when the LTV reaches 78% (in my case, 78% of the appraised value since I actually refinanced and there is purchase price) through natural amortization. Let's pretend my home appraised at 200,000. $200,000 x 78% = $156,000. All one has to do is look at the amortization schedule provided and look at the date the principle balance is scheduled to reach $156,000 and that is the date the HPA says the PMI automatically terminates. Yes, it really is that simple.

This is of no issue unless you are going to get involved with a class action. The meaning of the case has nothing to do with the players.
This is an issue because it means that it's 99.9% likely, the plaintiff in the referenced case has the same identical modification agreement as I do, same verbiage with only the names and amounts changed.

This is a valid point. Odds are the calculation is much as in the case.
:D

I disagree. There is nothing about a letter being sent. Since I believe that may be relevant, the facts of the case would probably have included it. I do agree an amortization schedule is key. Without that, you have no idea about potential damages.
What I meant when I said "I bet" was that I was guessing the plaintiff probably got the annual notice. All of us losers paying PMI get them every year. ;) HPA requires that the lenders/servicers send them. If you were paying monthly PMI and you got the letter referencing your automatic right to PMI termination, would you toss the letter in the trash? Or would you, having had your loan modified and having had no new amortization schedule with this information listed (remember all home purchases and refis are required to tell you) would you not request an amortization schedule so that you could look the date up to see when to your PMI was scheduled to terminate? Again, it was merely speculation as to what prompted Rice to file suit and doesn't matter. What does matter is that the amortization schedule sent to me Dec. 2013 clearly showed my PMI was scheduled to terminate 9/2013. Because my modification, like Rices, is a step rate loan defined by HPA, we would have to look at the modification then in affect. That would actually mean that my loan reached 78% LTV in 3/2013. Because the rate changed again on 5/2015 and therefore created a new amortization schedule. I just didn't get a copy of the new schedule, just a couple pages referencing the rate change and new interest and principle payment amounts. My PMI should have cancelled 5/2015.

This is one reason why an attorney is imperative. I think, at the very least, the issue is complex and a pro per is not going to get compensation according to the time required. I mean, really, how much were you hurt? At the most? If you REFINANCED then you have nothing. Not a little tiny baby thing. The case has no relevance. You have no real argument. From now on, I suggest you use the term "modified" from now on. Just saying.
The fact that I refinanced ONLY means that in regards to HPA, you have to use the appraisal instead of the purchase price. See: 5 �Original value� is defined as the lesser of the sales price of the secured property as reflected in the purchase contract or, the appraised value at the time of loan consummation. In the case of a refinancing, the term means the appraised value relied upon by the lender to approve the refinance transaction. Page 2 here: http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2004/0405/CA04-5Attach1.pdf. Just to be clear, I refinanced in 2008 and HAMP mod in 2010. Sorry for the confusion.

Your statement is legally untrue. See above for at least one of the reasons. I don't have the facts so the reality may be different. But, if you took from that case from another than your (Or, any at that level.) jurisdiction as controlling, you would be making a mistake. Then, you also have the "refi" jargon. If that is the case rather than a "modification", you have a problem. Stop saying silly things. Get with the program. Making things all "legal like" depends on words and theory. If you want to fight this thing the other party is not really going to give in to because you stand akimbo and speak deeply, is not going to happen. If you want to win, you will need to sue and win.
What????

We'll see. That is still in play. That is one of the most powerful things the other party knows. Argument alone hurts you more than them. If they lose to you, no one goes home with less steaks in the freezer. What is it you claim? What do you think, specifically, are your damages?
I believe I know if I had a HAMP modification or not, I have the HAMP modification agreement to prove it. My damages: Total of all unearned premiums paid plus interest (PMI was supposed to terminated per HPA a year ago.) Statutory damages up to $2000 provided in HPA, filing fees, time spent away from work writing letters to these morons. There maybe other Georgia statues that they violated that I have not looked at yet.

tranquility

This doesn't require a super brain and of course you are missing the amortization schedule and other figures whereas I'm not. The entire case basically reiterates that the HPA is fairly cut and dry on the issues:

PMI automatically terminates when the LTV reaches 78% (in my case, 78% of the appraised value since I actually refinanced and there is purchase price) through natural amortization. Let's pretend my home appraised at 200,000. $200,000 x 78% = $156,000. All one has to do is look at the amortization schedule provided and look at the date the principle balance is scheduled to reach $156,000 and that is the date the HPA says the PMI automatically terminates. Yes, it really is that simple.
Fair enough. I don't have your facts and know what you have posted would not even give me a general ability to calculate things. Maybe you can open a business on such matters? I'm sure, that while not in my practice, if your claim is the case, there are others that need your expertise. While I believe you are wrong on the cut and dry issue, if it is, there is a business opportunity.

This is an issue because it means that it's 99.9% likely, the plaintiff in the referenced case has the same identical modification agreement as I do, same verbiage with only the names and amounts changed.
I agree there is a statistical possibility. That does not mean your documents read the same or that a court with jurisdiction over you will find the same way.

What I meant when I said "I bet" was that I was guessing the plaintiff probably got the annual notice.
That would be called a "guess". Did it happen to you or not?

All of us losers paying PMI get them every year. ;)
Pity. "All" is a problem if you are relying on a case where no mention of it is included.

HPA requires that the lenders/servicers send them.
Why do you think that is? What legal effect do you think that has?

If you were paying monthly PMI and you got the letter referencing your automatic right to PMI termination, would you toss the letter in the trash?
No, I would not. Your mileage may differ.

[Or would you, having had your loan modified and having had no new amortization schedule with this information listed (remember all home purchases and refis are required to tell you) would you not request an amortization schedule so that you could look the date up to see when to your PMI was scheduled to terminate?
That I might do. I don't trust The Man. I check all things against the law I know.

Again, it was merely speculation as to what prompted Rice to file suit and doesn't matter. What does matter is that the amortization schedule sent to me Dec. 2013 clearly showed my PMI was scheduled to terminate 9/2013. Because my modification, like Rices, is a step rate loan defined by HPA, we would have to look at the modification then in affect. That would actually mean that my loan reached 78% LTV in 3/2013. Because the rate changed again on 5/2015 and therefore created a new amortization schedule. I just didn't get a copy of the new schedule, just a couple pages referencing the rate change and new interest and principle payment amounts. My PMI should have cancelled 5/2015.
I can neither agree or disagree here. What is the point of coming here if you had no questions and only assertions? If everyone who posts agrees with you, it would not help any litigation you have in any way.

The fact that I refinanced ONLY means that in regards to HPA, you have to use the appraisal instead of the purchase price. See: 5 �Original value� is defined as the lesser of the sales price of the secured property as reflected in the purchase contract or, the appraised value at the time of loan consummation. In the case of a refinancing, the term means the appraised value relied upon by the lender to approve the refinance transaction. Page 2 here: http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2004/0405/CA04-5Attach1.pdf. Just to be clear, I refinanced in 2008 and HAMP mod in 2010. Sorry for the confusion.
Again with "refinance". If you refinanced, you are dead. Think "modification." That you used the word even after I warned you makes me think you cannot, even in the back of your mind, prosecute this without an attorney.

Your damages, if you win, is the amount you paid over the amount you should have paid. I did not research statutory damages. But, they are not additive, but sole.

This is exhausting!

Tranquility, I really appreciate all the responses but the simple fact of the matter is that you're missing information that I can't provide to you and therefore you it's impossible that you reach the same conclusions however I'm confident that if you had all the information, that you would agree with me that the servicer I'm dealing with violated the HPA and that my case would be solid. I'm also convinced that I will not find any attorney to take this if only because it is such a small beans type case. Perhaps I should have sold it as a class action because I guarantee there are others.

That would be called a "guess". Did it happen to you or not?
Of course I got the letter! We all are supposed to get them but some servicers do not comply.

I don't trust The Man.
Look! We have something in common! Something else about me? I don't like paying other people money, I want to keep as much of mine as possible.

What is the point of coming here if you had no questions and only assertions?
The point in coming here was to find out how to send a proper intent to sue letter. I decided after I posted that I'd be better of hiring an attorney to represent me but that was a dead end. So now I'm back to sending a proper intent to sue letter. I guess if they do not settle the matter of that, I will have to decide if I want to spend the time and money to go be "pro per" and represent myself and see what comes.

Will you critique my demand letter in that case Tranquility?

Last edited:
HPA Statutory

Page 10 of 19 here: http://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2004/0405/CA04-5Attach1.pdf

IX. Civil Liability
A. Liability Dependent upon Type of Action
Servicers, lenders and mortgage insurers that violate the Act are liable to borrowers as follows:
• Individual Action
In the case of individual borrowers:
-Actual damages (including interest accruing on such damages);
-Statutory damages not to exceed $2,000;
-Costs of the action, and
-Reasonable attorney fees.

Exciting update to share!!!!

This morning, I decided to contact the attorney that handled the other case. His response? " I leave for out of town depositions in an hour and won't have the chance to talk until next week. Quite frankly, I've been looking for someone in your shoes. "

I must admit that I'm feeling quite smug! :D:p :cool:

Last edited:

tranquility

This morning, I decided to contact the attorney that handled the other case. His response? " I leave for out of town depositions in an hour and won't have the chance to talk until next week. Quite frankly, I've been looking for someone in your shoes. "

I must admit that I've feeling quite smug! :D:p :cool:
It's great you found someone to help in what is going to be difficult. Since the statute has an attorney fees portion, make sure the attorney will take his fee on contingency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">