• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intentional abandonment of property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have a nutty relative in Indiana (I am the closest relative) and I believe she is intentionally abandoning her home--she moved into a smaller condo recently (Out of the blue), has lied to neighbors (whom I exchange emails with) about putting the old house up for sale, and has refused to clean it up (real estate people told her neighbors--friends of mine-- they could not sell it until she makes it inhabitable--it is filled with trash). I just learned that the water was also turned off this week. I believe she may be planing to try to destroy the property somehow (she is pretty dishonest)or something like that--is there anyway or any source to report her too?--she moved out 2 months ago-the house is uninhabited and the cold Indiana winter is coming ! I feel I should be doing something. A burnt down house (or whatever she is planning) would really end up hurting the other neighbors property values. Thanks in advance for any advice.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I have a nutty relative in Indiana (I am the closest relative) and I believe she is intentionally abandoning her home--she moved into a smaller condo recently (Out of the blue), has lied to neighbors (whom I exchange emails with) about putting the old house up for sale, and has refused to clean it up (real estate people told her neighbors--friends of mine-- they could not sell it until she makes it inhabitable--it is filled with trash). I just learned that the water was also turned off this week. I believe she may be planing to try to destroy the property somehow (she is pretty dishonest)or something like that--is there anyway or any source to report her too?--she moved out 2 months ago-the house is uninhabited and the cold Indiana winter is coming ! I feel I should be doing something. A burnt down house (or whatever she is planning) would really end up hurting the other neighbors property values. Thanks in advance for any advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is she the sole owner of record?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
I have a nutty relative in Indiana (I am the closest relative) and I believe she is intentionally abandoning her home--she moved into a smaller condo recently (Out of the blue), has lied to neighbors (whom I exchange emails with) about putting the old house up for sale, and has refused to clean it up (real estate people told her neighbors--friends of mine-- they could not sell it until she makes it inhabitable--it is filled with trash). I just learned that the water was also turned off this week. I believe she may be planing to try to destroy the property somehow (she is pretty dishonest)or something like that--is there anyway or any source to report her too?--she moved out 2 months ago-the house is uninhabited and the cold Indiana winter is coming ! I feel I should be doing something. A burnt down house (or whatever she is planning) would really end up hurting the other neighbors property values. Thanks in advance for any advice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes--she is the sole owner of record--she is under 60 yrs of age--there could be liens on the property though--mortgage was paid off yrs ago--on occassion she has unilaterally decided not to pay her bills so there could be several liens.

HomeGuru

yes--she is the sole owner of record--she is under 60 yrs of age--there could be liens on the property though--mortgage was paid off yrs ago--on occassion she has unilaterally decided not to pay her bills so there could be several liens.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should talk to a real estate attorney as it appears something needs to be setup to protect her interest in the property. Does she need help from a mental health facility, social services, legal aid etc.? The property could be put in trust and professionally managed by the trust or a property manager.

T

Tracey

Why is this your business? It's her house; she can burn it down if she wants to. It's only a crime if she tries to collect insurance. Unless you are willing to become this woman's conservator & start handling all her affairs, stay out of it.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Why is this your business? It's her house; she can burn it down if she wants to. It's only a crime if she tries to collect insurance. Unless you are willing to become this woman's conservator & start handling all her affairs, stay out of it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tracey--In response to your posting to my issue--I do not believe that you are representative of the legal profession. For you to advocate that someone has a "right" to burn down property is ridiculous. I suggest you get out and do some volunteer work and see how a damaged house can affect the community (increase in crime, lower property values, etc.). I hope that I as an attorney never have such a negative attitude toward life and a community. As her relative, it is my business and I will always strive to take steps to prevent harm to others. Peace be with you.

HomeGuru

Originally posted by Tracey:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tracey--In response to your posting to my issue--I do not believe that you are representative of the legal profession. For you to advocate that someone has a "right" to burn down property is ridiculous. I suggest you get out and do some volunteer work and see how a damaged house can affect the community (increase in crime, lower property values, etc.). I hope that I as an attorney never have such a negative attitude toward life and a community. As her relative, it is my business and I will always strive to take steps to prevent harm to others. Peace be with you.

HomeGuru response:
Arson is a crime and Tracey currently does a lot of volunteer work. I would only wish that the legal profession has more skilled and helpful attorneys like Tracey.

Signed,
HomeGuru
Lifetime member of the Tracey Fan Club

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:

HomeGuru response:
Arson is a crime and Tracey currently does a lot of volunteer work. I would only wish that the legal profession has more skilled and helpful attorneys like Tracey.

Signed,
HomeGuru
Lifetime member of the Tracey Fan Club
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Home guru for reminding Tracy that Arson IS in fact a crime. As for your comment about her skills, I think her response answers that issue. However, my response was only directed at her "unusual", and inaccurate legal advice on arson (let alone the snidenes and tone of the response which I chose to ignore). I did not wish others to think that arson was OK and nobody's "business" as she claimed. Thanks again. PS I am an attorney with 13 years of experience and felt an obligation pursuant to our code of conduct/ethics to address her serious misstatment of the law. I am sure you understand. Someones "fan club" membership (while nice) has no relevancy nor does it provide a justification for her "misstatement" about arson. Thanks again and have a nice day.

HomeGuru

Thank you Home guru for reminding Tracy that Arson IS in fact a crime. As for your comment about her skills, I think her response answers that issue. However, my response was only directed at her "unusual", and inaccurate legal advice on arson (let alone the snidenes and tone of the response which I chose to ignore). I did not wish others to think that arson was OK and nobody's "business" as she claimed. Thanks again. PS I am an attorney with 13 years of experience and felt an obligation pursuant to our code of conduct/ethics to address her serious misstatment of the law. I am sure you understand. Someones "fan club" membership (while nice) has no relevancy nor does it provide a justification for her "misstatement" about arson. Thanks again and have a nice day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please be reminded that you as an attorney failed to identify yourself as such in your original post. You talk about code of conduct/ethics, yet lead everyone on this website to believe that you are a layperson with no law degree since you did not state that you were an attorney in your original post. Were you practicing full disclosure? apparently not since you did not represent yourself as a member of the legal profession and did not register as a user of this website. I find it odd in that you did not know the answer to the questions in your post. I remember this kind of stuff was taught in law school.

M

mnm

hg, so what your saying is, had Catsblack identified himself as an attorney, then Tracey wouldn't of stated that Arson is ok? 
You are way off base hg, weather or not Catsblack said he was an attorney or not has nothing to do with this.  I would like to
know how he lead everyone on the website to believe that he was a layperson with no law degree, and what difference would
it make?

Perhaps you should re-examine your code of conduct/ethics, if not for law then human decency.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mnm:
hg, so what your saying is, had Catsblack identified himself as an attorney, then Tracey wouldn't of stated that Arson is ok? 
You are way off base hg, weather or not Catsblack said he was an attorney or not has nothing to do with this.  I would like to
know how he lead everyone on the website to believe that he was a layperson with no law degree, and what difference would
it make?

Perhaps you should re-examine your code of conduct/ethics, if not for law then human decency.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mnm, you again got it all wrong and continue to show your ignorance of the issues. Please look up the spelling and meaning of the words weather and whether, then use the words in a complete sentence on another website.

Case closed.

Signed,
HomeGuru

L

LadyFable

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you Tracey... Unless the original poster wants to become conservator of the property.. I'd stay out of it as well. I am not a legal professional but rather a layperson. As a laywoman &lt;snickering&gt; I find it a little odd that a person (with 13 yrs as a lawyer) would have to post on a board for legal advice. I understand there are many areas that a person can practice law but to come to a board to ask for advice seems a little odd to me. I was curious if the original poster still practices law, and if so, is this where you research for all your cases ?,,, Ok ok.. so that was a little mean, &lt;did I say little.. lol&gt; but I am just a little curious why you are getting involved when you were not asked to intervene. If the family member you referred to as "nutty" indeed does have a mental impairment, then why not have her committed?

LadyFable
(fan of Tracey AND HomeGuru)

[This message has been edited by LadyFable (edited October 09, 2000).]

N

njc

whew! the boards are heating up! i came running over to real estate for some "light" relief....i wonder if it's the seasons changing? hey HG i ate the whole dang twinkie waiting for you!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by njc:
whew! the boards are heating up! i came running over to real estate for some "light" relief....i wonder if it's the seasons changing? hey HG i ate the whole dang twinkie waiting for you!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

njc, not to worry my dear. I'll pick up another box.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 09, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">