• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's Really Mine!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amaiya

When I was with an ex-boyfriend, I had a car that I had payed-off. However, my ex suggested that I should get a new car. Because of my credit he said he would put the car into his name, but I would be resposible for the payments since it would be my car. Therefore, I traded my old car in for $2000, towards the purchase of the new car. I made every payment on the new car, but at the end of a bitter break-up, my ex demanded the car back. Is there anything I can do to at least get back the $2000 or the car?

T

Tracey

Yes. Keep the car (or take it back with your spare key) & sue him TODAY. If you repo the car, leave a note telling him you've done so to keep this all aboveboard. I hope you kept your paperwork & had your agreement in writing! If not, you'll have to try to prove your arrangement by showing the judge your cancelled checks. If you sue in small claims, sue for every penny you've paid towards the car. $2000 + all payments. If that amount takes you over the small claims court limit, sue in district court for the full amount OR possession of the car (if it's still in good shape).

As long as you have physical possession of the car, he can't sell it to spite you. You might want to spend $100 to change the locks to prevent him from taking the car right back. You have a legitimate claim of right or title to the car, so you can't be charged with theft. Actually, you can be charged, but you can't be convicted on the facts you've presented here. :)

You should get either all the money you paid back or the car. Even if you only get your money refunded, X may decide he'll give you the car back rather than try to come up with all the money right away.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">