• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint ownership and debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tobyandnikki

i live in washington. i bought a condo for my grandfather to live in. i put his name on the title to get a lower interest rate. i paid for the place and he pays me rent. he has some credit card debt, and i want to know if i will have to pay that debt if he dies or if it will go against the condo. my grandfather owns nothing else. do i need to get him off the title or what options do i have to protect myself from taking on his debt?

JETX

This one is pretty simple.....
The debt is his. Any debts left will go to his estate. The property will be a part of his estate (assuming there are no other title issues). The estate will be responsible for paying his debts.

The executor will have to pay the bills.

HomeGuru

tobyandnikki said:
i live in washington. i bought a condo for my grandfather to live in. i put his name on the title to get a lower interest rate. i paid for the place and he pays me rent. he has some credit card debt, and i want to know if i will have to pay that debt if he dies or if it will go against the condo. my grandfather owns nothing else. do i need to get him off the title or what options do i have to protect myself from taking on his debt?
My response: I presume from your lower interest rate statement that you signed a mortgage. If such is the case, you have already teken on the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">