• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desparate

I own a home in Illinois with my ex-husband. He is a bi-polar patient who refuses to take his medication. He has been arrested for criminal damage to property for damage to a major business in the area. I had previously filed an order of protection against him because he was threatening to blow up the house. He is on Social Security Disablility Benefits and is being jailed. I have been paying the house payment and utilities 100% since he was removed last July. My questions are:
1. How do I protect myself and my home?
2. Can this business file a civil suit against him and put a lien on my home for the damages incurred?
3. He owes a large amount on his credit cards, which are only in his own name. Can his creditors put a lien on my home if he does not pay them?
4. Can his social security disabiltiy benefits be taken away while he is in jail.
5. What type of a laywer do I need?
6. He refuses to sign off the home. Is there any legal way to get him off of it?
Thank you for your help
Desparate in Illinois :mad:

HomeGuru

desparate said:
I own a home in Illinois with my ex-husband. He is a bi-polar patient who refuses to take his medication. He has been arrested for criminal damage to property for damage to a major business in the area. I had previously filed an order of protection against him because he was threatening to blow up the house. He is on Social Security Disablility Benefits and is being jailed. I have been paying the house payment and utilities 100% since he was removed last July. My questions are:

1. How do I protect myself and my home?

**A: hire Vinnie the hitman out of Chicago.
2. Can this business file a civil suit against him and put a lien on my home for the damages incurred?

**A: yes.
3. He owes a large amount on his credit cards, which are only in his own name. Can his creditors put a lien on my home if he does not pay them?

**A: yes, provided said creditors go to Court and get a judgement.
4. Can his social security disabiltiy benefits be taken away while he is in jail.

**A: I don't know.
5. What type of a laywer do I need?

**A: a good type.
Actually, a real estate attorney should be able to help you with partition of the property.
6. He refuses to sign off the home. Is there any legal way to get him off of it?

**A: Vinnie or his sidekick Bruno can make him an offer he can't refuse or he be wid da fish.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">