• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Real Estate Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DDH

My "X" husband & I built a house in 98-99. We were the GC & subed some of the work out. The house was paid for in cash. (Paid for materials, etc. as we went) We owe approx. $10,000.00 on the lot the house sits on. We built the house with the intention of getting back together. It lasted 8 months before I gave up & moved out. He now lives in the house, approximate value $200,000.00. Almost all the money put up & into the house was his. The land deed is recorded in both our names. I want my share of the house. What is this procedure called? Do I need an attorney? If so, what type? Do you think I can successfully get 1/2 the value although he funded it. I did put 100's of man hours in the house while building it. Thank you, DH

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DDH:
My "X" husband & I built a house in 98-99. We were the GC & subed some of the work out. The house was paid for in cash. (Paid for materials, etc. as we went) We owe approx. $10,000.00 on the lot the house sits on. We built the house with the intention of getting back together. It lasted 8 months before I gave up & moved out. He now lives in the house, approximate value $200,000.00. Almost all the money put up & into the house was his. The land deed is recorded in both our names. I want my share of the house. What is this procedure called? Do I need an attorney? If so, what type? Do you think I can successfully get 1/2 the value although he funded it. I did put 100's of man hours in the house while building it. Thank you, DH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In friendly terms the procedure is called sharing. In legal terms it is called partition of the property. You need an attorney do to the complications and the fact that he may not want to sell. I think you can get what is fair by putting a value to the labor. He can do the same. Start calculating your expenses so you can negotiate with your ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">