• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tenacy Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waltonman

We live in New York State and we have a problem.

My wife and her mother own the home we all live in. They are not getting along and her mother keeps threating to go to a lawyer and get her name off of the deed.

The house is paid for and the taxes are current. Her mother put up the money for the house originally. They are joint tenents with right to survivorship.

I imagine there is some way to resolve this legally by one or the other. Neither will sign the existing deed over to the other.

If one can be removed, now long does it take?

HomeGuru

waltonman said:
We live in New York State and we have a problem.

My wife and her mother own the home we all live in. They are not getting along and her mother keeps threating to go to a lawyer and get her name off of the deed.

The house is paid for and the taxes are current. Her mother put up the money for the house originally. They are joint tenents with right to survivorship.

I imagine there is some way to resolve this legally by one or the other. Neither will sign the existing deed over to the other.

If one can be removed, now long does it take?
**A: file partition action but be prepared to pay off Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">