• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

JOINT TENANCY WITH RIGHT OF SURVIVORSHIP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jstreub

My sister and I received our parent's summer lake home (in Wisconsin) as a gift. Since our parents wanted only my sister and I to have ownership of it, the title was transferred into our names (my sister and I) and as "JOINT TENANCY WITH RIGHT OF SURVIVORSHIP".
At the time I was not married and she was. (this is still our married status) the problem is with my sister's husband. Five years ago we added a $60,000.00 addition in which my sister and I paid equal share of the cost. Now my brother-in-law feels he has some "legal" right to this property. He feels he can have anybody up for the weekend, come and stay there anytime and basically do anything he feels like it. This property has been owned by my parents for 35 years and by my sister and I for another 13 years and I feel cheated since my sister goes along with her husband. I wish to keep my ownership in this property.

My question is what are my legal rights? Can I have him removed from my property?

Thanks Jim

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jstreub:
My sister and I received our parent's summer lake home (in Wisconsin) as a gift. Since our parents wanted only my sister and I to have ownership of it, the title was transferred into our names (my sister and I) and as "JOINT TENANCY WITH RIGHT OF SURVIVORSHIP".
At the time I was not married and she was. (this is still our married status) the problem is with my sister's husband. Five years ago we added a $60,000.00 addition in which my sister and I paid equal share of the cost. Now my brother-in-law feels he has some "legal" right to this property. He feels he can have anybody up for the weekend, come and stay there anytime and basically do anything he feels like it. This property has been owned by my parents for 35 years and by my sister and I for another 13 years and I feel cheated since my sister goes along with her husband. I wish to keep my ownership in this property.

My question is what are my legal rights? Can I have him removed from my property?

Thanks Jim
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not as long as your sister does nothing and lets him run the show. Legally the home is equally owned by the both of you. If she does nothing to stop him, you need to have a serious talk with her. If you say he can not do what he is doing, his excuse will be "your sister, my wife, said I could". Real estate law v. family law Round 1.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">