• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Tenants Nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Henni5, you can add your legal question by using the "edit post" feature found in your original post, or you can "reply to thread" and add your question that way.

Please be sure to include the name of your state when adding your question.

Thank you.

quincy

California

I am sorry. I am terrible with computers. I reset and reset. It would not work.
The "preview post" feature on this site is malfunctioning. If you used it prior to submitting your post, it tends to delete the post. I imagine that is what happened to your post.

You can just add your question now, either in your original post or by replying.

Henni6

California

My elderly aunt and i are joint tenants on title for the house i live in.

There is a small house on the property. We fixed it up and moved our daughter into it. We moved her sister into her room. We have 5 children and space is tight.

My aunt lives out of state and is in bad health and will not travel. She wants another relative (girl , same age as our daughter) to live there and share. She can not live with her own people because of her drug use.

I have done some reading and it seems we must fo this or be sued for ouster (they would sue, there has been bad blood for years).

What can we do with in the law?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

There is a small house on the property. We fixed it up and moved our daughter into it. We moved her sister into her room. We have 5 children and space is tight.

My aunt lives out of state and is in bad health and will not travel. She wants another relative (girl , same age as our daughter) to live there and share. She can not live with her own people because of her drug use.

I have done some reading and it seems we must fo this or be sued for ouster (they would sue, there has been bad blood for years).

Negotiate. Perhaps you should buy her out? Or perhaps you should offer to let her buy you out.

Henni6

I wish. We barely afford the mortgage and food on the table. Now another to take care of. It is so upsetting.

quincy

adjusterjack

California

Let me get this straight. You think you have to take in a druggie because you are afraid you might be sued by the druggie if you don't take her in?

Ridiculous. I can't imagine a druggie winning a lawsuit for that.

You can ask an attorney but rather than hassle with all that I would just put my foot and say, "Hell, no" and take my chances.

quincy

Let me get this straight. You think you have to take in a druggie because you are afraid you might be sued by the druggie if you don't take her in?

Ridiculous. I can't imagine a druggie winning a lawsuit for that.

You can ask an attorney but rather than hassle with all that I would just put my foot and say, "Hell, no" and take my chances.
It is not the "druggie" that is the problem. It is the co-tenant aunt who is the problem.

The aunt can demand the property be partitioned and split, either physically split (which could be a possibility if there are two houses on the property) or sold (with proceeds from the sale split between Henni and the aunt). And Henni fears an ouster.

There are issues with the mortgage, however, and the improvements made to the property. An attorney's review might be a good idea.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">