• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joint tenants w right of survivorship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lghibbs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My home was purchased with my Dad as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. He recently passed away, and I want to know how to change the ownership to just my name.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
My home was purchased with my Dad as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. He recently passed away, and I want to know how to change the ownership to just my name.
**A: go to a title company and ask them what the cost would be and the procedure.

FlyingRon

**A: go to a title company and ask them what the cost would be and the procedure.
Agreed. It will take your dad deeding you his interest in the property to do this. A title company or other real estate professional can prepare this, notarize the signatures and file this for you as a matter of course. You can also (and should also) obtain owner's title insurance on the property as well.
Is there a mortgage involved?

anteater

Agreed. It will take your dad deeding you his interest in the property to do this. A title company or other real estate professional can prepare this, notarize the signatures and file this for you as a matter of course. You can also (and should also) obtain owner's title insurance on the property as well.
Is there a mortgage involved?
Uh... Ron... Dad is no longer among us.

I don't know Florida, but, in some states, filing a death certificate with the existing deed at whatever county department maintains land records is enough to establish sole ownership upon the passing of one joint tenant.

lghibbs

Actually, title companies refused to respond because it would be giving "legal advice" in their opinion, which is strange since it was one of them that recommended handling it this way in the first place.

HomeGuru

Actually, title companies refused to respond because it would be giving "legal advice" in their opinion, which is strange since it was one of them that recommended handling it this way in the first place.
**A: ok, then plan B. Hire a real etstae attorney to do the work.

lghibbs

It looks more and more like I will need to, but that sucks since the reason it was done originally was to avoid that. lol

anteater

If you haven't already, I'd take a shot at asking the clerks in the land records office. They may or may not be able to give any guidance, but it doesn't cost anything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It looks more and more like I will need to, but that sucks since the reason it was done originally was to avoid that. lol
Nope - you did it that way to avoid probate. Probate would be MUCH more expensive than the relatively minor cost you will incur in this situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">