• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Contract Law/question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annasusan

I live in Michigan and sold a house on land contract. Legally, am I allowed to request a viewing of the inside of the home to make sure everything is being kept up properly? thankyou!

LdiJ

I live in Michigan and sold a house on land contract. Legally, am I allowed to request a viewing of the inside of the home to make sure everything is being kept up properly? thankyou!
You are basically the mortgage company for the loan. Does a mortgage company have the right to request a viewing of the interior of someone's home? Unless the contract permits that, you do not.

FarmerJ

HUGE question here `does this contract for deed require the vendee / buyer to get written consent from Vendor / seller ( you ) if the contract requires them to get consent from you before remodeling or making any changes other wise and you see things on the outside of the home that hints they have then start taking pictures that have the date on them ( like say if you see torn out dry wall piles or say the kitchen cupboards which the house came with ) sitting out side and do not waste any time seeing a Attorney who can give you more detailed advice .

annasusan

HUGE question here `does this contract for deed require the vendee / buyer to get written consent from Vendor / seller ( you ) if the contract requires them to get consent from you before remodeling or making any changes other wise and you see things on the outside of the home that hints they have then start taking pictures that have the date on them ( like say if you see torn out dry wall piles or say the kitchen cupboards which the house came with ) sitting out side and do not waste any time seeing a Attorney who can give you more detailed advice .
Thanks for your response. Yes, the contract states he must give written consent if they were to remove or change anything, but I am not really worried about that. I am worried that they are "trashing" the inside of the house, as I seen some pictures online and was very upset at the condition, as this was a brand new remodel from top to bottom and it looks pretty bad now. I understand "reasonable wear and tear", but this seems beyond that. I would like to address it before it gets any worse, but don't know if I have the right to do that.

LdiJ

Thanks for your response. Yes, the contract states he must give written consent if they were to remove or change anything, but I am not really worried about that. I am worried that they are "trashing" the inside of the house, as I seen some pictures online and was very upset at the condition, as this was a brand new remodel from top to bottom and it looks pretty bad now. I understand "reasonable wear and tear", but this seems beyond that. I would like to address it before it gets any worse, but don't know if I have the right to do that.
You sold the house on contract. What they do with it is their business. Unless you were under the impression that selling a house on land contract was the same as being a landlord without the responsibility of maintaining the home, you should realize that as long as they make their payments, you have no control other than what was agreed upon in the contract.

annasusan

You sold the house on contract. What they do with it is their business. Unless you were under the impression that selling a house on land contract was the same as being a landlord without the responsibility of maintaining the home, you should realize that as long as they make their payments, you have no control other than what was agreed upon in the contract.
Ok, thank-you for the advice!!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">