• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land contract vs owner financing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tkfaust

What is the name of your state? Kentucky-my house has been on the market for over a year through an agent. I am going to fsbo-what is the differnce between a land contract and owner financing? I have had an offer of $5000 up front and then the buyer would pay monthly payments, including a stipulation that in case of default the house would refer back to myself. The gentleman refered to this as a land contract, but a friend of mine did the same thing with his house and he called it owner financing. Is there a difference? HELP!!!

FarmerJ

Spend the money to have a lawyer work with you on this potential sale its worth every penny . The lawyer will make sure your contact for deed /land contract meets your states laws and can also Inform you of all the risk you take selling that way and give you a rough Idea Of how long it could take to re claim the property should the contract be breached . ( I had bought my first home many yrs ago on what we call contract for deed here , The lawyers fees were reasonable . And worth every penny )

E

ebeneezer

Yes, the "land contract" is a form of owner financing. However, if you are unfamiliar, then do invole an attorney as mentioned earlier.

T

tkfaust

Thank you for your replies. I found lots of very helpful information thru this site!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">