• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land contract, who's responsible for home repairs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tney

I purchased a mobile home under land contract from a friend, with nothing specified in the contract as to who's responsible for repairs to the home until its paid off.The hot water heater needs replaced and the owner is refusing to pay, claiming it to be my responsibility.The title is still in her name.Who is legally responsible ??

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tney:

I purchased a mobile home under land contract from a friend, with nothing specified in the contract as to who's responsible for repairs to the home until its paid off.The hot water heater needs replaced and the owner is refusing to pay, claiming it to be my responsibility.The title is still in her name.Who is legally responsible ??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It appears that the land contract was not drafted properly as conditions should have been addresed such as who is responsible to pay for repairs and maintenance, utility bills, insurance, real property taxes etc. Although title is not in your name, you have what is known as equitable title and in most cases unless stated otherwise, you are responsible to pay for repairs as the equitable owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">