• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pepper13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma,is it legal for a county to use your property to build a bridge without contacting you? this is out in the country,not alot of people travel the road.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oklahoma,is it legal for a county to use your property to build a bridge without contacting you? this is out in the country,not alot of people travel the road.
You own the road?

justalayman

do they have a ROW on your property? If there is already a ROW, they can do anything that ROW allows. If they have no legal claim to the land, then it would be illegal to build the bridge until they obtained the land or a ROW on the land.

Zigner

I suspect (but it's merely conjecture) that the OP is upset that, during construction of the bridge, the county used his property that lies adjacent to the county-owned road for equipment, etc.

justalayman

I suspect (but it's merely conjecture) that the OP is upset that, during construction of the bridge, the county used his property that lies adjacent to the county-owned road for equipment, etc.
If they used any land outside of the ROW, it is a trespass. Builder would be liable for any damages caused and possibly liable for rental fees for the area used. They don't get to just plop stuff wherever they want to.

Zigner

If they used any land outside of the ROW, it is a trespass. Builder would be liable for any damages caused and possibly liable for rental fees for the area used. They don't get to just plop stuff wherever they want to.
Damages? Sure.
Rental fees? I don't see that happening

pepper13

there is a country road going near my property,the county decided to build a small bridge,which is on my property,i was not notified off any construction. aren't they supposed to notify you of any constrution or have some kind of permission? i do not know what a row is

justalayman

ROW= right of way. It is essentially an easement on your property held by the government entity that owns the road itself.

Still not sure what your issue is though. Can you clarify the land rights situation for the land used to build the bridge?

other than that; if they had legal rights to build the bridge, no, they would not have to provide you with any sort of notice.

pepper13

NO,bridge is on my property,i own the disputed land

pepper13

ROW= right of way. It is essentially an easement on your property held by the government entity that owns the road itself.

Still not sure what your issue is though. Can you clarify the land rights situation for the land used to build the bridge?

other than that; if they had legal rights to build the bridge, no, they would not have to provide you with any sort of notice.
how can you find out about how much easement is allowed for bridge? i live out in the country,the road is gravel,not paved.it winds through hills between two state hyways,which are about 15 miles apart. there is really nothing in the area but mostly pasture land.the county came in and built a small bridge over the road,but not in the same place as the original one,they built it on my land,i thought there should be some notification of this being done,since it was on my land

pepper13

My apologies. What has the county said when you inquired about this matter?
sorry if i sounded abrupt. i have not contacted the county as of yet,i was trying to find out if there was any recourse on what they were doing,they are not the type to be forth coming,they are always right?

Zigner

sorry if i sounded abrupt. i have not contacted the county as of yet,i was trying to find out if there was any recourse on what they were doing,they are not the type to be forth coming,they are always right?
You would need to know the county's position on this matter before proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">