• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land - Gas Lease Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

piper451

What is the name of your state? New York

Recently, the gas drilling companies have been moving into my area. They started out offering $125/acre for mineral rights. Then the price jumped to $1000/acre within 5-6 weeks. The headlines read "Modern Day Gold Rush". I own 100 acres of old farmland. I don't actually live on the land in question.

Does anyone have experience with the selling of mineral rights? I am looking for tips and pitfalls to watch out for as I deal with these companies. There is also a co-op of landowners in my immediate are that sticking together to get the best price. I plan to join up with them in the theory that there is stregnth in numbers.

I will most definitely get an experienced land lawyer to review any contract before I sign, just wanted to pick your brain if you have any usefull advice.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">