• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land for new car trade-off: Is this hypothetical deal even possible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gratefulcrimson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I've been making payments on a new vehicle, for over a year, that I wish to soon sell and pay off the loan difference. I'd rather be making payments on actual acreage property as a long-term investment. The vehicle is in great shape and under a 100,000 mile warranty. However, it is a little bit difficult to fit three car seats into. :)
I've found 10 acres of rural land I'd like to purchase.The asking price is $14,994 The owner will not finance to me due to personal circumstances, but is considering a trade for my newer vehicle. If he deems it worthwile. I have a 2014 Kia Soul, which appraises anywhere from $10,000-14,000, depending on the estimating website.
*My question*:
Could I trade him the car for the land, using that land for collateral against my current loan, as I continue to make the monthly payments on said vehicle? Therefore, absolving the current land owner from any liability should I become seriously injured or incapable of continuing the car payments.
If this is a possible trade, how would I go about initiating this? :confused:
Thank You!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

I've been making payments on a new vehicle, for over a year, that I wish to soon sell and pay off the loan difference. I'd rather be making payments on actual acreage property as a long-term investment. The vehicle is in great shape and under a 100,000 mile warranty. However, it is a little bit difficult to fit three car seats into. :)
I've found 10 acres of rural land I'd like to purchase.The asking price is $14,994 The owner will not finance to me due to personal circumstances, but is considering a trade for my newer vehicle. If he deems it worthwile. I have a 2014 Kia Soul, which appraises anywhere from $10,000-14,000, depending on the estimating website.
*My question*:
Could I trade him the car for the land, using that land for collateral against my current loan, as I continue to make the monthly payments on said vehicle? Therefore, absolving the current land owner from any liability should I become seriously injured or incapable of continuing the car payments.
If this is a possible trade, how would I go about initiating this? :confused:
Thank You!
You can't - it's against the terms of your contract with your lender.

OHRoadwarrior

You cannot sell a vehicle you owe money on, without paying of the vehicle. Therefore you could get him a marketable title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">