• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land owner rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

e mustin

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My husband and I own some land in Louisiana which has a pond on it. This pond is also on our neighbors land. About 1/20 of this pond is on this neighbor's land. There is a fence across the pond which divides our property from theirs. Our neighbors made a deal supposedly with a man 40 years ago that they could use this pond as their own. Ownership has changed hands many times since then.

Our neighbors have installed a pipe on their side of the pond which extends at least 100 feet onto our side of the fence to siphon water out of the pond for some fish ponds that they have on their land adjoining ours. We were not asked permission to extend the pipe onto our side of the fence.

We bought the land before he built his fish ponds. We have cut the pipe once and they fixed it and feel that they have every right to run the pipe onto our side of the fence.
Who is right?

FarmerJ

Contact your states dept of natural resources . Ask them if there are any laws barring the pumping /taking of water from wetlands for private use with pipes n pump . If there is such a law then explain to them about your nieghbor and invite them out to take a look . Do consider posting on that fence line no tresspassing / private property . short of that I would suggest consulting with a local law firm to get the best advice on how to stop them from doing this again .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">