• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

steve_caldwell

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I am planning on purchasing a small segment of land (1/13 of an acre) from my sister's adjoining property in order to straighten out my odly shaped lot. (1) Must we have a lawyer prepare the papers of is a signed written agreement sufficient. The price is to be $500 and there are currently 3 concrete monuments from which measurements will be taken to describe the piece in the contract.

(2) If a lawyer is not necessary, is there an online contract that I can purchase for this property transfer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

steve_caldwell said:
What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I am planning on purchasing a small segment of land (1/13 of an acre) from my sister's adjoining property in order to straighten out my odly shaped lot. (1) Must we have a lawyer prepare the papers of is a signed written agreement sufficient. The price is to be $500 and there are currently 3 concrete monuments from which measurements will be taken to describe the piece in the contract.

(2) If a lawyer is not necessary, is there an online contract that I can purchase for this property transfer?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
**A: you are many steps off. First you need to find out the State/City/County regulations on consolidation of parcels.
Then you need to hire a surveyor to survey the property that is going to be transferred so that there is a spearate legal description and deed for this piece. It is the legal description that is added to the new deed for recordation. You want to make sure that your title insurance will cover this added piece.
This is not an easy self-help real estate transaction. I suggest you hire an attorney that did this type of work before.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">