• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LANDLORD BREAKING LEASE IN MICHIGAN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JULIE1

I HAVE A LEASE UNTIL JAN. 31,2000. MY LANDLORD DELIVERED AN EVICTION NOTICE TO ME.
THE NOTICE STATED THAT I HAD THIRTY DAYS TO MOVE OUT DUE TO THEM WANTING POSSION OF MY APARTMENT FOR OTHER PURPOSES. CAN THEY DO THIS. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS AS A SIGNED LEASE TENANT.

T

Tracey

Unless your lease says L can cancel it at any time, or you have breached the lease by not paying rent or breaking the rules, L can't make you leave until 1/31 just because L wants the apt. Send L a letter (certified, return receipt) saying that you are not in violation of your lease, & if L persists in trying to make you leave, you'll sue for unlawful eviction, breach of lease, etc., and collect 3 months' rent as damages.

Start keeping a log of ALL dealings with L. L is going to try to make you uncomfortable enough to leave. Note every problem, communicate only in writing & keep copies, and read your residential landlord tenant act. Don't be even a day late with rent, 'cause L will seize on any excuse.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">