• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord controlling heat?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chillyfingers

My landlord has the only unit in the house (two tenament) to control the heat throughout the house. My question is this...is there is temperature that a house must be kept at in a situation such as this? For the past two days, it's been in the 30's-50's and the heat has been off all day long. I have to depend on my electric stove to heat my house.

T

Tracey

All states require L to provide 'adequate' heat, hot water, electricity, etc. If L controls the heat, a court will order him to set the thermostat at 68 and leave it there. Check your state's residential landlord tenant laws for the exact procedure to follow. You'll have to send a certified demand for heat, then give L a 'reasonable time' to address the problem (24 hours or less for heat). If L doesn't fix it, you can go to court for an emergency order to turn the heat on, terminate the lease, collect damgages for the lack of heat, and/or withhold rent until L fixes the problem. Do not depend on your stove. Buy a space heater if you have to & bill L for it AND the electricity to run it.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">